L4310GST too much for wooded 5 acres?

/ L4310GST too much for wooded 5 acres? #11  
It's ultimately going to be your call. 4310 is a nice, heavy, rugged machine. It will be great for digging out rocks and stumps. The problem is that it is really LONG with a loader. If you have allot of tight quarters to manipulate in, you will be cursing yourself. My brother-in-law has a 4330 which I have used for some of the bigger jobs that I would never attempt with my little Deere. Jobs like unloading an 1800# pallet of rocks or digging out three 25" diameter stumps that were all intertwined. If you have allot of jobs like that, get the 4310. If you are mainly just going to be putzing around, you may want to be looking at a "B" Series. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ L4310GST too much for wooded 5 acres? #12  
DJB -

Welcome to TBN - you've sure come to the right place if you're looking for opinions. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sounds as if you've got a pretty tough decision to make - lots of variables, for sure. Please allow me to think out loud for a bit. I'm not sure how much stump work you can do without a backhoe. They're tough critters; a FEL isn't a very good tool to tackle them with, and your clutch wouldn't like you if you tried to pull out all but the smallest ones.

As for ground clearance: as soon as you put a hoe on a machine like the 4310, your ground clearance goes to he$$ anyway. As much as I love the Grand L's, maybe a BX would do the trick? It sounds as if you really want a hoe, and it sounds as if you have a fair amount of use for one. As others have said, farming the backhoe work out is always an option, but, control freak that I am, I always like to be able to do what I want, when I want, how I want. I'm not sure how a BX would do on your pool demolition, I guess you'd have to get out your tape measure and brochures. Sounds like it would be great for all the other tasks though; might take a while to dig out a good-sized stump, but it'd probably do quite a bit. And you could dig trenches to your heart's content. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think I know what you're going through with the 4310; it's hard not to fall in love with a Grand L. Same thing happened to me - I was originally in the market for a used tractor, and almost bought a low-hours L4200GST. Then I decided to go new and ended up with an HST Grand L.

Who was it who sang "Shop Around"? "Don't fall in love with the very first one .. you better shop around" - still good advice, all these years later. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lastly, it's always seemed to me that one of the biggest factors in choosing a tractor is loader capacity. Will this thing pick up what I need it to? Some like to say that the smaller tractor will do everything the larger one will, it will just take longer - but I've yet to see a 402 kg loader pick up a 681 kg rock. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Then of course I'd consider PTO HP, 3PH lift, and footprint/frame size/manueverability, and in your case, backhoe considerations.

Anyway, there's a great machine out there just waiting for you; maybe used, maybe new. Don't be too quick to pull the trigger, make every shot count. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif And as I said, there are a lot of great people here on TBN who will be happy to help you make just the right choice.

Good luck, and enjoy your decision-making process. I know it's a bit stressful, but it's also kinda fun isn't it? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Take care, and again, welcome,

John