L4400 Recall

/ L4400 Recall #1  

have_blue

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4400
Got a call from my dealer today saying I need to bring my L4400 (geared) in. The recall is for the PTO. My tractor was purchased in June 08, and wasn't on the lot more than a week or 2, so it undoubtedly has a pretty high serial number. I did a lot of bush hogging, and never noticed any problems.

Anyone else?

/ L4400 Recall #2  
I just bought a new 2007 L4400 gear model which had been sitting around for a while on the dealer's lot. I have 6 hours on it right now.

Do you know the range of serial numbers affected by the recall? If you speak to your dealer, perhaps you could inquire and post the answer.

Thanks.

/ L4400 Recall #3  
I received the call from my dealer for my L4400 gear drive 2008 probably around November 2008. I bought my tractor in March 2008. They said it was a PTO problem.

Back in May 2008, I had to take the tractor in as the PTO was slipping. My brush hog would come to a complete stop but Tractor didn't even lower its RPM much at all. There is an article somewhere on this site were I detailed the story. They repaired it and I thought all was well until this month. The dealer said the May repair should have taken care of it. However, I noticed again that when I was brush hogging some heavy yaupon, I could halt the PTO shaft but the engine kept running at full RPM as if it had no load. So apparently the May repair didn't address it, fixed it with another defective part, or just fixed a problem and not the root cause of the problem.

I will be making a call to my dealer this week to arrange for another surgery.

/ L4400 Recall #4  
kgroesch- Was it a major repair? ie splitting the tractor, or something fixed externally?

have_blue- Did you get yours fixed?

Did either of your dealers tell you what serial range or how many were affected? My dealer hasn't called me about this. I also haven't yet had the chance to use the PTO but will once I start Bushhogging later in the spring. Hate to bother them, but maybe I'll call my dealer to see if I'm affected or not.

Thanks for any info.

/ L4400 Recall #5  
can anyone tell us what serial numbers were involved in the recall? What happens with the PTO when it needs to be recalled? The PTO on my L4400 seems to work work perfectly. I really like the way it engages: effortless, no clutch needed, no gear clashing and very positive.
simonmeridew

/ L4400 Recall #6  
I sent an email directly to Kubota inquiring about this. I'll post the response if I get one.

If not, I'll probably call my dealer and see what's up. I haven't received a call so I hope I'm not affected.

Anyone here know anything about the recall?

Thanks

/ L4400 Recall #7  
I sent an inquiry yesterday and got a response directly from Kubota today. That's good service!! Although they didn't specify the serial number range affected, mine was not. Mine is a 2007 model L4400. Here is Kubota's response and my inquiry.

"Dear Glenn,

Thank you for your email to Kubota. Your L4400DT-F with the serial number
of 55910 hasn't been effected with any recalls. The PTO valve housing
recall was issued only on our L4400DT and L4400DT-1 models.

Your Original Inquiry:

I'm hearing from other owners about a possible recall on the L4400 series
for a PTO problem in that it slips under load.

Can you verify this recall and does it affect my tractor. If so, I'll
contact my dealer about it.

The tractor has been great so far. I bought it new in Dec 08.

Thanks,

Glenn in PA"

I would say an email to Kubota or a call to your dealer would tell you for sure.

Happy tractoring!!

/ L4400 Recall #8  
GLC:
what does the "F" in your model number mean or refer to? I just thought my tractor was an L4400DT (no -F or -1). Thanks
simonmeridew

/ L4400 Recall #9  
I really don't know what the "F" means. On all my sales paperwork, the Tractor is identified as L4400 DT-F. I know that "DT" means "Dual Traction" as in four wheel drive, which mine is, but I don't know what to make of the "F." On Kubota's website showing codes under "Prior products", the "F" code denotes two wheel drive but mine certainly is not. From Kubota's email response, it is a valid code sequence that they reference, but I don't know what it means. Possibly it means front end loader equipped as mine has the LA703 loaser installed. I'll ask my dealer next time I'm in there. If you find anything out, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks.

/ L4400 Recall #10  
On some other Kubota models, the "F" denotes a folding ROPS when both folding, and rigid ones are offered.