L45 200 Hour Maintenance

/ L45 200 Hour Maintenance #31  
Me three.

I am not an expert but to me the SUDT is not being used the same as hydraulic oil. Hydraulic oil is just pumped to the cylinders with minimal wear except for seals. Since the SUDT is doing this plus going through the HST+ transmission it would seem to me there is more of an opportunity for foreign matter from clutch discs and other components in the drivetrain to get in the SUDT. Kubota didn't install three filters just for fun.

I think it is false economy to go with cheaper lubricants on an expensive machine. I run synthetic lubricants in all my vehicles and machines from my Honda lawn trimmer to my 2012 F250 diesel. Synthetics have served me well for more than 30 years.

/ L45 200 Hour Maintenance #32  
Me three.

I am not an expert but to me the SUDT is not being used the same as hydraulic oil. Hydraulic oil is just pumped to the cylinders with minimal wear except for seals. Since the SUDT is doing this plus going through the HST+ transmission it would seem to me there is more of an opportunity for foreign matter from clutch discs and other components in the drivetrain to get in the SUDT. Kubota didn't install three filters just for fun.

I think it is false economy to go with cheaper lubricants on an expensive machine. I run synthetic lubricants in all my vehicles and machines from my Honda lawn trimmer to my 2012 F250 diesel. Synthetics have served me well for more than 30 years.

GST on the L39 has a wet clutch also, but I am not to concerned about repacing synthetric hydraulic oil at 400 hours. I'll probably let mine go another 800 hours to 2500 Hours total or at 2500 Hours do an anaylsis. i do replace the filters every 800 hours or so and use the correct PN Kubota filters, not aftermarket as aftermarket like other Kubota filters may physically fit but not have the same internal reliefs and fiter media.

Mistake No. 1 – Changing the oil

There are only two conditions that mandate a hydraulic oil change: degradation of the base oil or depletion of the additive package. Because there are so many variables that determine the rate at which oil degrades and additives get used up, changing hydraulic oil based on hours in service, without any reference to the actual condition of the oil, is like shooting in the dark.

Given the current high price of oil, dumping oil which doesn’t need to be changed is the last thing you want to do. On the other hand, if you continue to operate with the base oil degraded or additives depleted, you compromise the service life of every other component in the hydraulic system. The only way to know when the oil needs to be changed is through oil analysis.

/ L45 200 Hour Maintenance
Me three.

Are there clutch discs in the HST trans? I thought there was just a pump and motor.

ac

/ L45 200 Hour Maintenance
GST on the L39 has a wet clutch also, but I am not to concerned about repacing synthetric hydraulic oil at 400 hours. I'll probably let mine go another 800 hours to 2500 Hours total or at 2500 Hours do an anaylsis. i do replace the filters every 800 hours or so and use the correct PN Kubota filters, not aftermarket as aftermarket like other Kubota filters may physically fit but not have the same internal reliefs and fiter media.

Mistake No. 1 – Changing the oil

There are only two conditions that mandate a hydraulic oil change: degradation of the base oil or depletion of the additive package. Because there are so many variables that determine the rate at which oil degrades and additives get used up, changing hydraulic oil based on hours in service, without any reference to the actual condition of the oil, is like shooting in the dark.

Given the current high price of oil, dumping oil which doesn’t need to be changed is the last thing you want to do. On the other hand, if you continue to operate with the base oil degraded or additives depleted, you compromise the service life of every other component in the hydraulic system. The only way to know when the oil needs to be changed is through oil analysis.

Who are you using for analysis? I am very interested in your experience.

ac

/ L45 200 Hour Maintenance #36  
Are there clutch discs in the HST trans? I thought there was just a pump and motor.

ac

The brakes are wet disc. The HST is just pump and motor.

/ L45 200 Hour Maintenance #37  
john_bud said:
The brakes are wet disc. The HST is just pump and motor.

The PTO might use a hydraulic clutch too.

/ L45 200 Hour Maintenance #38  
Who are you using for analysis? I am very interested in your experience.ac

I'm shooting in the dark. In the spring, I think I'll send the hydraulic oil out for one of those $25 dollar lab checks.

I think I am reasonable about oil changes in general. It takes 9 gallons of Rotella to change engine oil in the 4 diesels, and 37 quarts of PAO synthetic to change the oil in the 3 bikes, 3 cars and 2 PU’s in our family of just 3 drivers. I’m not looking to do oil changes anymore than necessary. In the last 20 years, I never had a lubrication or engine wear issue by changing oil just based on look and smell.
For instance I have a little Mazda 4 cylinders I beat the crap out of with 220 K miles that does not burn oil or have sludge build-up. The worst any engine had was a little varnish.