Backhoe L48 sub frame broke

/ L48 sub frame broke #31  
messtrap,

Good luck to you ! ! :thumbsup: I know how frustrating it can be. :pullinghair: Unfortunately :censored:, the only FIX is to replace. Best luck getting it done. I hope it doesn't ding the budget too hard. :shocked:

Dave

/ L48 sub frame broke #32  
I don't know, but I would think a good "welder, fabricator," could cut out the defective side
and replace it with a new tube.
I would take the 850$ and check to see if that "bad" section could be replaced,
I could be wrong but i don't see why it couldn't.

/ L48 sub frame broke
I don't know, but I would think a good "welder, fabricator," could cut out the defective side
and replace it with a new tube.
I would take the 850$ and check to see if that "bad" section could be replaced,
I could be wrong but i don't see why it couldn't.

It can be replaced, at about 1000.00. With the 850.00 and the dealers discount after it arrives the new one is just under 1300.00. Tough decision, but now I know the steel is correct and also the tolerances, hate to have it repaired, bring it home and go to install it and oh no! That side swelling drew the frame in enough to make it tough to get the backhoe on and off. With any luck someone out there sooner or later will need a frame (who welds and can fix it) and for a few bucks they can have this one.

/ L48 sub frame broke #34  
It can be replaced, at about 1000.00. With the 850.00 and the dealers discount after it arrives the new one is just under 1300.00. Tough decision, but now I know the steel is correct and also the tolerances, hate to have it repaired, bring it home and go to install it and oh no! That side swelling drew the frame in enough to make it tough to get the backhoe on and off. With any luck someone out there sooner or later will need a frame (who welds and can fix it) and for a few bucks they can have this one.

messtrap,

I know, VERY tough decision. :confused: If it were ME, I would take the financial hit and be SURE that it would PROPERLY fit. If they will let you KEEP the damaged frame, I would store if (if possible) and sell (like you said) to someone WILLING and ABLE to re-weld in a new piece (I'd rather not). :thumbdown:

Best of luck and I hope this does not sour you on Big Orange ! ! ! :cool2:

Dave

/ L48 sub frame broke #35  
How does the other side look? Were all of the big, frame bolts tight? I suspect the possibility of stress or flex also. It's hard to tell just looking at your pics but don't rule that out too. Just thank your lucky stars that nothing like engine or drivetrain were affected.

/ L48 sub frame broke #36  
What I'd be very inclined to do is to drill a small, say 1/2" hole in order to pour in about one quart of oil in each tube and carefully plugging afterwards. Maybe even welding a threaded pipe fitting that could then take a standard pipe thread plug. (type of weldable thread as used to fabricate fuel tanks).
Inside oil is your best defense against internal rusting.

Around here we oil all hidden metal car surfaces and frames to maximize our vehicle life.
Aviation also oils inside of aircraft tubular structures. (raw linseed oil was a favorite preventative as it clings)
NB a round hole does not weaken a structure when properly located and de burred.

/ L48 sub frame broke #37  
..........Around here we oil all hidden metal car surfaces and frames to maximize our vehicle life..........
That's getting more common in New England too - coating with Fluid Film - lanolin wax based.

/ L48 sub frame broke #39  
In aviation, older rag and tube planes, coating the inside of the tubes is common practice. Boiled linseed oil is used for this, poured into the tubing, rotated around to cover all inside surfaces, then the tube is sealed back up again. Commonly done with wing struts also, to prevent internal corrosion.

No need to make a larger hole for this, 1/8" to 3/16" is more than enough. Once coated you can either weld the small hole over to seal it, or tap threads in the hole and seal with a machine screw.

bumper

/ L48 sub frame broke #40  
messtrap,

Sorry to hear about your troubles and I'm not surprised one bit that Kubota is not standing behind their product 100%.

They also left me hanging (with a brand new tractor) with issues! Their customer service and warranty is a joke.

I'll be extending my insurance once it expires!