L5030 Front axle UDT

/ L5030 Front axle UDT #1  

thunderworks

Silver Member
Tractor
L3301
I changed the gear oil in the front axle of my L5030. The manual indicates it takes 9.5 qts -- but I sure couldn't get that much in. I drained both sides but only could get around 7 quarts back in. How do you get the rest of the old stuff out . . .? Obviously a bunch was left in that didn't drain.

/ L5030 Front axle UDT #2  
I haven't tried it, but seems to me that somebody once posted, to your exact question, that they had raised the front end and the front axle slanted since tires were off the ground.. and thus they drained more oil...

Me, I just drain what I can and refill.

/ L5030 Front axle UDT #3  
Be sure to recheck several hours later or the next day since it takes awhile for it to fill all the little crooks and crannys.

/ L5030 Front axle UDT #4  
Agree with both. Jack up the front. Drain the axle housing. Titl back and forth several times. Fill it back up (it won't be anywhere near 9.5 qts, which is the same as my L4400). Then, drive it a bit and re-check. You'll need to ad more but it still won't come out to be a full 9.5. Not in my experience anyway.

/ L5030 Front axle UDT
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. I'll recheck it after an hour or so of use.