L5030 GST Steering Problem

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem
Thanks David. I don't think I mentioned before, but when driving the tractor I have to start spinning the steering wheel and keep spinning it just to get the turn started. Turning does not begin with a normal rotation of the steering wheel.

Ben

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem #12  
If seal is actually blown on steering cyl piston with wheels turned full right one should be able to remove hyd hose(LH turn hose) from steering cyl and continue turning steering wheel to right and if seal is blown oil should come out cyl fitting where hose was attached.

Thanks Jim. I will try this test as well. I need to pinpoint where the problem lies since much effort is involved in either pulling the steering cylinder to replace seals or the very expensive replacement of the controller. I do not want to attack the problem from the wrong direction and I don't possess knowledge enough regarding the steering system to locate the faulty part, so suggested procedures like this are a great help in pinpointing the problem.

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem #14  
Other then pressure/flow gauge or taking cylinder to shop for testing not much else you can do.

David Kb7uns

David, I hope to be able to pinpoint the problem without resorting to testing with a flow gauge or pulling the cylinder and taking it in for testing. I did not have a chance today to pull a cylinder hose and test for bypass as Tx Jim suggested trying. I hope to do that tomorrow and after researching prices, I hope it is the cylinder seal that is bad. The controller is very expensive.

Ben

Okay, I tried turning wheels all the way to the right, disconnecting the hose from the left side of the cylinder and continued turning steering wheel to the right. Fluid came out of the left side hose, but not the cylinder fitting. What does this indicate? To be clear, there was so much fluid coming out of the hose that I could not be sure none at all was coming out of the cylinder fitting. I don't think there was, but I didn't have someone with me to observe the fitting up close. Should the fluid be coming out of the hose at all?

Thanks,
Ben

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem #17  
Should the fluid be coming out of the hose at all?Thanks,
Ben

No fluid should be coming out of hose. I think your tractor has a faulty steering valve.

Jim, the faulty steering valve is the steering controller, correct? I found a diagram of the steering system online and it looks like, since fluid is getting to the hoses which connect to the cylinder from the controller, that something in the controller is failing to control direction of flow. If my understanding is correct, when the wheel is turned right then flow to the left side should be blocked and that is a function of the steering controller. Am I right in assuming that if the cylinder seal was bad, that fluid would have blown out the cylinder fitting and not the hose end?

Much appreciated,
Ben

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem #19  
Am I right in assuming that if the cylinder seal was bad, that fluid would have blown out the cylinder fitting and not the hose end? Much appreciated,
Ben

Yes I think the steering cylinder is good and the control valve is faulty. Your Kubota dealer service manager may have a better way to diagnose the steering problem.

/ L5030 GST Steering Problem #20  
To steer right fluid must go into left side of cylinder to make the shaft extend to the right.

David Kb7uns