LA145 K46 tranny is shot

/ LA145 K46 tranny is shot #1  

dglambert

Tractor
JD LA145, Craftsman GT-6000
I posted a short version of this in the "intro" thread, but here's the whole story from the top.

Last summer, I moved to a new home with an acre & change of lawn -- some gentle hills, but certainly none I'd consider steep. Last fall, I bought a LA145 used -- not knowing at the time that "LA" indicated, apparently, really, really light duty. A couple mowings later, I began to experience slowing & shuddering up-hill, eventually winding up with no movement whatsoever. A little googling, and I realized I was dealing with the infamous K46-is-junk issue.

I figured I'd try opening it up over the winter -- found no visible damage inside, so I thought perhaps refilling with some good-quality 5W50 would get me back to running. I was wrong. It's back to basically inoperative.

Having done all this research after the fact, I understand that the LA-series was never really the right choice for me in the first place, but I'm feeling pretty let down by JD and hydrostatic transmissions in general at this point. I'd naively thought that buying a tractor with what seemed like a decent amount of horsepower would've implied a strong tractor, capable of running attachments like a snowblower later on. No way I'd try that on this mower knowing what I know now.

So, my choices at this point, as near as I can tell:

* Rebuild the K46 as-is. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't really worth the trouble, as I expect it to fail again before too long.
* Rebuild the K46 with K57 innards. I've seen posts here with parts lists, etc. -- if I really thought upgrading this to a K57 would be reliable long-tern, I'd consider this, though I guess I've still got an LA145 with no attachments or anything.
* Bite the bullet and buy another tractor - hopefully one with a snowblower, at least. I'm really considering finding an old hunk of iron with actual gears in it. I'd still consider the possibility that another hydrostatic would suck less, but this experience has left me with a bad taste in my mouth in that respect.

It does seem like there are other manufacturers with hydrostats that are at least much less expensive to replace -- maybe this is an option vs. this K46 that costs more to replace than the whole mower is worth (in other words, if you're going to put a disposable tranny in the tractor, make it affordable to replace).

I know this is about 2/3 rant, but I'm really fishing for any helpful advice at this point.

/ LA145 K46 tranny is shot #2  
It's a huge risk buying a used box-store mower (heck, it's not even great buying them new). Maybe consider it a hard lesson and move on.

/ LA145 K46 tranny is shot #3  
Many have rebuilt them, and added a method to drain the oil so that they last. You never changed the oil in yours because you couldn't. They are unservicable.

/ LA145 K46 tranny is shot
It's a huge risk buying a used box-store mower (heck, it's not even great buying them new). Maybe consider it a hard lesson and move on.

Agreed completely -- when I bought, I had no idea that the K46 was such a weak link. I'm trying to avoid making the same mistake again.

Many have rebuilt them, and added a method to drain the oil so that they last. You never changed the oil in yours because you couldn't. They are unservicable.

I did crack open the tranny over the winter and re-filled with fresh 5W50 synthetic. Again, pretty miffed that an "unserviceable" tranny is priced like this. I could appreciate throw-away parts that are priced to be replaced regularly, or an expensive part that's built to last. The K46 is neither, as near as I can tell.

/ LA145 K46 tranny is shot #6  
The last year of LA145 production was 2010, so you bought at least a 9 year old lighter duty lawn tractor with the type of previous usage/abuse-age unknown, with a transaxle that has most likely never been touched as far as any type of service as it was made unserviceable. You can remove your transaxle, repair it to working order, and make it serviceable by adding a drain plug at the time of repair, likely the cheapest way to get you back up and running again with a provision to at least be able to proactively service the transaxle. Or, you can buy a piece of old iron, true garden tractor. Be aware that like your LA145, those selling them are usually doing so for a reason and you can get in to an involved mechanical science project of a different nature than the K46 which doesn't work out too well when you need to get the lawn mowed this time of the year.

-Mark-

Just a quick update on this in case anyone else has the same issue with the K-46 transmission. I wound up trying a rebuild service I found on ebay - seller link below. I've gotten two years of mowing duty out of this rebuild so far.

/ LA145 K46 tranny is shot #8  
Not sure what you paid for the used LA145. If I was in your predicament I would go buy a new heftier machine, and keep it serviced and use it for the next 15-20 years. But I do wonder why some K46’s fail so soon and other’s don’t. I have a 2010 X300 with a K46, which I change the fluid on every 250 hours. It has 630 hours on it and has never failed.
Sorry you are having this headache to deal with.

Not sure what you paid for the used LA145. If I was in your predicament I would go buy a new heftier machine, and keep it serviced and use it for the next 15-20 years. But I do wonder why some K46’s fail so soon and other’s don’t. I have a 2010 X300 with a K46, which I change the fluid on every 250 hours. It has 630 hours on it and has never failed.
Sorry you are having this headache to deal with.
I only use the LA145 for mowing now, and it does an ok job at that. I picked up a Craftsman with a non-hst transmission - it does well for plowing & pulling.

/ LA145 K46 tranny is shot #10  
LT 180 K46

Thought I would post this as it may be worth a try for someone having K46 tranny problems.

Bought LT180 new in 2003. This tractor is used to mow 2 acres of some pretty rough mountain ground with some steep grades. I never pulled a cart or anything with it. Doing PM on it, I changed tranny oil @ 228 hours using 10W-30 Mobil 1 which at that time Tuff Torq was recommending 10W-30. Tranny was losing pulling power so I changed the tranny oil again @ 538 hours using 5W-50 which is what Tuff Torq was now recommending. That only made it worst as it would hardly move & the tranny made a howling noise. At that time I bought a used 2004 GT235 with less than 400 hours on it.

Figuring I have nothing to lose, I tore the tranny apart and found some grooves in the valve body & rotors. They were no more than .002 deep so I took some real fine emery cloth & put it on a surface plate and polished the surfaces until the grooves were removed. Put a new filter in & filled with 5W-50. I now have over 50 hours on the rebuild & I believe it is as strong or even stronger than when new. Keeping my fingers crossed.