LA854 loader pins seized

/ LA854 loader pins seized #1  

jshwhite

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740
One of those things I haven't had time to get around to until now. The bottom pins on the loader that the quick attach unit pivots on seem to be seized. I haven't been able to get grease in them for a while.

I had a closer look at them today and the keeper bolts are gone. So I tried hammering the pins out, hoping to be able to clean them up and restore the grease function. No go. They seem to be free on the quick attach part, and seized inside the loader part.

Am I missing something? Or should I just get a bigger hammer and beat them out? I want to make sure there's nothing else that is holding them in there, but I can't think of anything other than corrosion.

Thanks
IMG_20210805_143829875_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20210805_143839998_HDR.jpg

/ LA854 loader pins seized #2  
One of those things I haven't had time to get around to until now. The bottom pins on the loader that the quick attach unit pivots on seem to be seized. I haven't been able to get grease in them for a while.

I had a closer look at them today and the keeper bolts are gone. So I tried hammering the pins out, hoping to be able to clean them up and restore the grease function. No go. They seem to be free on the quick attach part, and seized inside the loader part.

Am I missing something? Or should I just get a bigger hammer and beat them out? I want to make sure there's nothing else that is holding them in there, but I can't think of anything other than corrosion.

ThanksView attachment 708462View attachment 708463

I would try soaking the ends in penetrating fluid, letting it sit, and try hitting it with the hammer a few more times. If that doesn't work then you could try heating up the outside collar with a torch to expand it a little and then hit it with the hammer again. You could also try a pneumatic hammer. The vibrations from it may free it up.

It looks to me as though that pin has never had enough grease put to it. In the future I would use a little more so that it squishes out a little at the pivot point so that it travels into the ends as well. That will also help keep dirt from getting on to the friction surfaces.

Hope this helps..

/ LA854 loader pins seized #3  
Last one I did was on a hydro axe tree cutter. They had a big tree in it and one pin had fell out. He drove over a stump and when it jostled over, snapped the boom off. 2x6 solid steel. Upper pins in boom were stuck bad. He was going to call CAT to gouge them out. I went down in the woods after dark and got them out.

/ LA854 loader pins seized
Thanks guys. So what I'm hearing from you is there shouldn't be anything keeping them in there. I'll shoot some penetrating oil in and let it sit overnight. I hate to heat it up and melt the paint off. Probably just need a big fat hammer. I'll get an old socket to fit that bore size and start beating. The parts manual shows a bushing in there on the loader arm, so thankfully if it gets messed up while getting it out I can just get new pins and bushings...

loggin, I agree I don't think these pins were ever greased correctly. I bought the tractor used a couple years back and there were a few maintenance-related issues. I noticed these weren't taking much grease ever since I got it, but just now getting around to taking care of it. They're worse than I thought.

/ LA854 loader pins seized #5  
You may find there is a notch worn in the pin from friction making it hard to beat out. I have had to saw both sides of the pin out before to get everything out of the way, then I can beat the remaining piece of pin out with everything out of the way

/ LA854 loader pins seized #6  
I use a air chisel with a flat chisel point. Has work on every pin I have used it on. You are going find that the hole under the grease fitting packed in there like a rock.

/ LA854 loader pins seized #7  
I have dealt with alot bigger and alot more stuck pins than that before. Weld a nut on and spin the pin prior to trying to push out.
When you decided to stop greasing that pin you basicly just kissed the pain good bye.

If the spinning with an impact gun dosnt work you have to heat it.

/ LA854 loader pins seized #8  
Last one I did was on a hydro axe tree cutter. They had a big tree in it and one pin had fell out. He drove over a stump and when it jostled over, snapped the boom off. 2x6 solid steel. Upper pins in boom were stuck bad. He was going to call CAT to gouge them out. I went down in the woods after dark and got them out.
This could lead to a good story. How did you get them out?

/ LA854 loader pins seized
I have dealt with alot bigger and alot more stuck pins than that before. Weld a nut on and spin the pin prior to trying to push out.
When you decided to stop greasing that pin you basicly just kissed the pain good bye.

If the spinning with an impact gun dosnt work you have to heat it.
Come on now, it wasn't ME who didn't keep up on greasing it! The previous owner didn't take the best care of it, and I'm paying for it .. But good idea to weld a nut on it. I hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a try.

I just had a few minutes this afternoon, so I tried giving it some serious smacks with a sledge hammer. Didn't move at all. Hoping I get some time on Sunday to work on it some more.

/ LA854 loader pins seized #10  
Where I use to work we had a mechanic we called "Bam-Bam"...
His motto was, "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer".