Lambing

/ Lambing #1  

Boondox

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S
Of the five pregnant Icelandic ewes we had this year, so far three have dropped twins and one dropped a single. Just came in from the last set of twins. I can't think of many things that move me more, after a harsh winter, than seeing a lamb come into the world and within fifteen minutes take its first faltering steps. The meadow is still brown, the trees are still bare, and there are still patches of snow in the forest...but newborn animals are a sure sign of spring to come.

One more ewe to go. Fudge Baaa is huge and was grunting a bit as we left the lambing pen. My bet is we won't get much sleep tonight. But this stuff beats television hands down! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete

/ Lambing #2  
Yes Boondox, I have to agree. Here I had about 130 lamb out in just over 3 weeks and have another 70 or so young first timers I'am waiting on, but still have to marvel a little at the speed some of them get up and going. Biggest downer this year as far as sheep goes was a set of quads that I lost along with the ewe because the first 2 got tangled and she likely struggled all night. By the time I got home from work and out to check she was pretty worn out and all lambs were dead on delivery. Otherwise it's been a pretty good season. Have fun with yours. Ron

/ Lambing #3  
You guys are a couple of sick puppies. the day we sold those stupid sheep and replaced them with cattle. life was so much easier. pulling lambs,shearing,staying up all night shooting dogs and coyotes, putting them in every night. no fun but someone has to do it. good luck keep up the hard work