Land plow

/ Land plow
One more pic. Here you can see how the cross shaft should be oriented. The plow is taking a proper bite with no pulling to the left or right and tracks completely straight behind my tractor all on it's own with no check chains or anything.

NSPEC--that is how I want mine to look, too. I'll study things a little more, and will probably be back in touch.

/ Land plow #12  
tree growler,nspec explained it a lot better than i did. once you get it set right it just takes a little adjustment each time you plow. i also have a fergison plow and it cuts like a knife threw butter.have fun, don't hit any big roots or rocks, your plow will catch, frontend raises, not fun!

/ Land plow #13  
Thanks, PossumHound. I'm pretty proud of that. This was a well established oak and pine forest 3 years ago. I cut and stumped it with my little Kubota one year. The next year I grew 3 consecutive stands of buckwheat turning each one under. I followed that with a fall planting of winter rye. Copious amount of manure in February, and those pics are plowing the rye under last month. I just planted the garden last week. Very satisfying to see how the soil structure has improved.

That makes the current condition all the more amazing. How'd you get all the roots and such out so clean? I am impressed. Oh, and that's good advice to the OP on adjusting his turning plow.

PH

/ Land plow #15  
PossumHound: Most of the stumps came out in one piece. There was a lot of roots and such that had to be picked out by hand. I actually plowed it a couple times to turn it all up. Also, I have a landscape rake that I use with every other tine removed. This helps smooth things and grabs bigger debris. What amazes me is the never ending rock picking. I think they're breeding. Somebody once said, "If I could only find an animal that would eat them....."

/ Land plow #16  
(Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure) has a how to vidio on this very question.
david

/ Land plow #18  
Interesting discussion. I am having a similar problem with my JD5425 pulling a JD 1000 3 bottom 16" fully mounted.
Nice plow but the first plow (right) is not to the right far enough to turn over the soil. It leaves a wide strip maybe 8 inches unplowed. The plow manual says I need to adjust the right wheel of the tractor but I am not sure that is even possible or desirable. I like the wider stance and would loose that by bringing the wheel in closer to the frame. I guess the problem is that the older plow is really not compatable with the new tractor. Any hope in making this moldboard plow work correctly? Do we just need to switch to a chisel plow?
Thanks
nck

/ Land plow #19  
nckennedy said:
Interesting discussion. I am having a similar problem with my JD5425 pulling a JD 1000 3 bottom 16" fully mounted.
Nice plow but the first plow (right) is not to the right far enough to turn over the soil. It leaves a wide strip maybe 8 inches unplowed. The plow manual says I need to adjust the right wheel of the tractor but I am not sure that is even possible or desirable. I like the wider stance and would loose that by bringing the wheel in closer to the frame. I guess the problem is that the older plow is really not compatable with the new tractor. Any hope in making this moldboard plow work correctly? Do we just need to switch to a chisel plow?
Thanks
nck

Not sure how your Deere is made but if you look at the picture of the Ferguson plow, notice that it is held to the cross beam with u-bolts so you can slide the plow a considerable distance to either side to compensate for tire spacing. Also I assume you have some adjustment in your lower links so you can offset it properly. Still 8 inches is a lot of distance to make up. Good luck.

/ Land plow #20  
Not sure how your Deere is made but if you look at the picture of the Ferguson plow, notice that it is held to the cross beam with u-bolts so you can slide the plow a considerable distance to either side to compensate for tire spacing. Also I assume you have some adjustment in your lower links so you can offset it properly. Still 8 inches is a lot of distance to make up. Good luck.

^^^ What he said^^^ :thumbsup:

Sean