Landscape Rake Build

/ Landscape Rake Build #11  
I can understand about not wanting to drill a gazillion holes. I see that the way that you did it you did not have to drill any for the tines. Yes, those tines would work very well--if I could find them.--I am a whole lot closer to Italy than you are but they are not to be found yet!! You preferred the Italian ones to the ones made in China?:rolleyes:

I see this spring there are a lot more implements being imported from Italy like mowers and tillers. So maybe other things too.:rolleyes: I hope so. There are a lot more dealers advertising small kubotas and other brands than a year ago, so hope springs eternal. :D

About my RB build, just remember I work on a whole different plane than you and your buddy Rob, both in dimensions and precision. ;)

Mike

/ Landscape Rake Build #12  
Larry,

It suddenly dawned on me that your new rake is designed to be completely manual adjustment, no hydraulics or mechanical devises to change blade angle or swing on the fly. it really seems out of character for you.:D After all you have the only hydraulic motor powered rotating RB in captivity. You did not seem to make a way for that box to fit on your rake either.:confused: It is curious. I thought aha, maybe an impostor--but the cool videos and shots of the plasma cuts are definitely in Larry's style though. :cool:

Any way I look forward to seeing you bring it together.

Mike

Oh, for your information my RB build is already on page 7. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/118176-rear-blade-build.html

/ Landscape Rake Build #13  
What are you using for a video camera? It's refreshing to see a video on the Internet that is clear and generally artifact free.

Also, do you own the PlasmaCam type cutter, or did you go to a shop to have it done?

Nice work!

/ Landscape Rake Build
MJPetersen said:
Larry,

It suddenly dawned on me that your new rake is designed to be completely manual adjustment, no hydraulics or mechanical devises to change blade angle or swing on the fly. it really seems out of character for you.:D After all you have the only hydraulic motor powered rotating RB in captivity. You did not seem to make a way for that box to fit on your rake either.:confused: It is curious. I thought aha, maybe an impostor--but the cool videos and shots of the plasma cuts are definitely in Larry's style though. :cool:

Any way I look forward to seeing you bring it together.

Mike

Oh, for your information my RB build is already on page 7. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/118176-rear-blade-build.html

Mike,
Thanks for your RB build link, I'll check it out. There will be provisions for hydraulics. Just hold on for it.

OK a little progress was made today -
All the Tines were bolted on with spacers in-between each one. It seems like it took forever. Had to keep everything square, several times I had to loosen a few, straighten things out, then re-tighten. I think it was worth the extra effort as it seems to be evenly spaced. Does it look straight?

I got all the spacers tack welded with my trusty Harbor freight Russian MIG, Yes you read that right a harbor freight tool made in Russia, not China, go figure. Somehow I managed not to weld any of the tines, lucky me.
Here's a few pics of the inside guts of my Russian MIG:

Larry

/ Landscape Rake Build
mjncad said:
What are you using for a video camera? It's refreshing to see a video on the Internet that is clear and generally artifact free.

Also, do you own the PlasmaCam type cutter, or did you go to a shop to have it done?

Nice work!

MJ thanks for the kind words. The camera is a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W80 7.2 mega pixels. Still pics and Video with sound plus some other cool stuff.

The plasma cam is run by a buddy of mine at a mom and pop metal shop in Albuquerque. I barter with them, I fix their broken stuff, and they plasma cut parts for me every now and then. The day I had these parts cut, I worked on an antique 250 amp three phase MIG ,got it working. In the past I have repaired the Plasma cam machine itself in trade for Rob's (3RRL) Gauge wheel parts.

OK I went ahead and took a pic of my project with the Sunday paper, just because I said I would. After the spacers were tack welded in place, ALL the frigging tines were removed so I would not weld them in place laying a solid bead of weld on each spacer. After that, I cut off the un-finished end, you see I had no idea how long this thing was going to turn out, what with all those tines and spacers, there was just no telling how long it was really going to be. Pay no attention to the cramped shop.

Larry

/ Landscape Rake Build
The deep welds caused a little warp-age, so I used the H/F press to whip it back into shape. OK now I have a problem, A press is not intended for what I am about to do. Here is my Redneck solution. Wheel the press under the main support beam for the house, hold the press in place at the top with a 20 ton bottle jack up against the under side of the beam, support the tine bar at both ends then go for it.

After a few tries, It came out straight. Thats it for now, I'm off to San Diego for a week long Business trip. Don't get any ideas while I'm gone - My retired Police officer neighbor is keeping an eye on it :cool:

Larry

/ Landscape Rake Build #17  
GuglioLS said:
A press is not intended for what I am about to do. Here is my Redneck solution. Larry

I prefer to call your Redneck Solution "Yankee Ingenuity."

Thanks for the camera and PlasmaCam information

/ Landscape Rake Build #19  
Larry
you have some room in there for a small iron worker then you can punch the holes in stead of drilling them or at least a whitney punch and a little elbow grease

tommu

/ Landscape Rake Build
Jim,
I checked out your rake build, man that came out nice. What impresses me the most is that the rotation is synchronized with the swing function, When you swing your blade, the rotation compensates to stay at the same angle, that feature is just too cool. OK a question for you - how did you drill out the huge holes in the rectangular tube to fit the large pipe? Hole saw?, combination of hole saw and boring bar? other?

Larry