Rotary Cutter Large Area Mowing

/ Large Area Mowing #21  
I am unable to attach the PDF file for the Vrisimo super model flail mower for you to down load from here but here is a link.

Vrisimo Flail Mowers and Shredders

These flailmowers are built in California and sold nation wide.

The super series starts at 48 inches wide and the largest super series model is 120 inchs/ten feet in ACTUAL cuttting width meaning the entire ten feet in width is cutting the grass in from of it where a rotary mower only uses one blade cutting edge to cut at any time with the opposite end following to continue cutting/tearing the brush or grass.

All Six of the Vrsimo Super models use the same size horsepower gear box AND all six Super model flailmowers are rated for 40 to 60 horsepower tractors.

All six of the Super flailmower models including the SC1120 are three point hitch integral mounted implements.

/ Large Area Mowing #22  
You're being grossly misled....The LAST thing you want is a flail mower. Unless you have time to waste, MONEY to waste, and HP running out your ears, a flail would be a serious mistake.

I own and operate a mowing business where large tracts of land are our specialty. I've tried flail mowers. I went into that phase with a predetermined notion that I could market that as some sort of "advantage". It didn't take long to recognize I'd made a mistake. Currently, we operate 7 tractor /mower rigs with 15' rotary batwings, 2 rigs with 20' rotary batwings, 3 rigs with 7' single spindle rotaries, and 2 with 6' rotaries. We commonly mow tracts of commercial real estate of several hundred acres, have a number of highway right-of-way contracts, as well as doing property maintenance on my own farm. I'll give you facts, not the "pipe dreams" of a few "dreamers" who mow just a few acres with no consideration to time OR cost.

For the record, my business mowed over 17,000 acres in the past season. My experience with flail mowers is based on 5 different models of various sizes, ALL in the top end of cost/quality, and used to mow approximately 1,200 acres during their time with me. (2 seasons past) My numbers are based on REAL WORLD operation, and not just a bunch of sales propaganda from someone who seems to have a serious case of tunnelvision.

Flails require more HP per foot than a rotary cutter, OR, be prepared to mow at a MUCH slower ground speed. (as an example, we were mowing very successfully with an 85hp tractor and 15' batwing (rotary). In the exact same conditions, 16' of flail mower was struggling along at roughly half the ground speed while on a 155hp tractor. (requiring a MUCH more costly tractor as a power unit) THAT fact has to be considered when figuring "initial cost")

Flail mowers are MUCH more costly initially.

Flails require a much higher overall long term maintenance cost.

Flails have limitations as to "conditions". You DO NOT want to mow grass that's even a little bit wet. You're more or less locked in to mowing short....Try to leave grass a bit longer than "scalped" and they do a miserable job (at best)

As you go up the charts from an entry level mower to a commercial grade mower, the cost of a flail mower goes through the roof! Commercial grade flail mowers are INCREDIBLY expensive, as is their maintenance and replacement parts. And by the admission of the sales person handling the demo, USED commercial grade flails, once showing significant wear, have a lower rate of resale worth compared to a rotary cutter.

I demo-ed several of the best flail mowers available, operating them along side of "mid range" (cost) rotaries. The rotaries outperformed the flails at a huge cost difference. Time (per acre) was nearly double with the flails. The final cost of operation (per acre) ws so disproportionately high for the flail mowers, I would have effectively been putting myself out of business.

Get a 10' or 12' drawn type rotary single wing (batwing) mower, save yourself a TON of money, get the job done faster, save yourself a ton of hours of routine maintenance, and do just as good (if not better) of a job. Long story short....a well maintained rotary cutter will provide an excellent quality of cut, and do so faster and cheaper.

There's a perfectly good explaination why over 95% of commercial mowing is done with ROTARY mowers.....Nothing else works as well, nor does anything else do so in such an economic, efficient manner.

A 10' rotary, behind a 50hp tractor, mowing normally maintained grass could reasonably expect to safely mow @ 4mph (ground speed) That would allow you to mow 50 acres in 11 to 12 hours. With a flail mower, you would struggle to mow @ 2-1/2 to 3 mph.....with a 7' or 8' mower behind that same 50hp tractor. With that, figure closer to 22 to 24 hours of mowing time for 50 acres (on average). Qualify THAT by considering your cost of purchase to be 50% to 100% higher for a commercial grade mower (rotary vs flail) and operational maintenance in a commercial application can be (usually IS) nearly double.

Based on the FACTS, no one with even a shred of "business sense" would want to mow with a flail mower. Even the sales person who was in charge of set up and demoing the flails I tried was convinced it was a pure and simple WASTE OF MONEY to use a flail in a situation where a rotary was (more than) capable of doing the same job.

Last edited:
   / Large Area Mowing
You're being grossly misled....The LAST thing you want is a flail mower. Unless you have time to waste, MONEY to waste, and HP running out your ears, a flail would be a serious mistake.

I own and operate a mowing business where large tracts of land are our specialty. I've tried flail mowers. I went into that phase with a predetermined notion that I could market that as some sort of "advantage". It didn't take long to recognize I'd made a mistake. Currently, we operate 7 tractor /mower rigs with 15' rotary batwings, 2 rigs with 20' rotary batwings, 3 rigs with 7' single spindle rotaries, and 2 with 6' rotaries. We commonly mow tracts of commercial real estate of several hundred acres, have a number of highway right-of-way contracts, as well as doing property maintenance on my own farm. I'll give you facts, not the "pipe dreams" of a few "dreamers" who mow just a few acres with no consideration to time OR cost.

For the record, my business mowed over 17,000 acres in the past season. My experience with flail mowers is based on 5 different models of various sizes, ALL in the top end of cost/quality, and used to mow approximately 1,200 acres during their time with me. (2 seasons past) My numbers are based on REAL WORLD operation, and not just a bunch of sales propaganda from someone who seems to have a serious case of tunnelvision.

Flails require more HP per foot than a rotary cutter, OR, be prepared to mow at a MUCH slower ground speed. (as an example, we were mowing very successfully with an 85hp tractor and 15' batwing (rotary). In the exact same conditions, 16' of flail mower was struggling along at roughly half the ground speed while on a 155hp tractor. (requiring a MUCH more costly tractor as a power unit) THAT fact has to be considered when figuring "initial cost")

Flails have limitations as to "conditions". You DO NOT want to mow grass that's even a little bit wet. You're more or less locked in to mowing short....Try to leave grass a bit longer than "scalped" and they do a miserable job (at best)

As you go up the charts from an entry level mower to a commercial grade mower, the cost of a flail mower goes through the roof! Commercial grade flail mowers are INCREDIBLY expensive, as is their maintenance and replacement parts. And by the admission of the sales person handling the demo, USED commercial grade flails, once showing significant wear, have a lower rate of resale worth compared to a rotary cutter.

I demo-ed several of the best flail mowers available, operating them along side of "mid range" (cost) rotaries. The rotaries outperformed the flails at a huge cost difference. Time (per acre) was nearly double with the flails. The final cost of operation (per acre) ws so disproportionately high for the flail mowers, I would have effectively been putting myself out of business.

Get a 10' or 12' drawn type rotary single wing (batwing) mower, save yourself a TON of money, get the job done faster, save yourself a ton of hours of routine maintenance, and do just as good (if not better) of a job. Long story short....a well maintained rotary cutter will provide an excellent quality of cut, and do so faster and cheaper.

There's a perfectly good explaination why over 95% of commercial mowing is done with ROTARY mowers.....Nothing else works as well, nor does anything else do so in such an economic, efficient manner.

A 10' rotary, behind a 50hp tractor, mowing normally maintained grass could reasonably expect to safely mow @ 4mph (ground speed) That would allow you to mow 50 acres in 11 to 12 hours. With a flail mower, you would struggle to mow @ 2-1/2 to 3 mph.....with a 7' or 8' mower behind that same 50hp tractor. With that, figure closer to 22 to 24 hours of mowing time for 50 acres (on average). Qualify THAT by considering your cost of purchase to be 50% to 100% higher for a commercial grade mower (rotary vs flail) and operational maintenance in a commercial application can be (usually IS) nearly double.

Based on the FACTS, no one with even a shred of "business sense" would want to mow with a flail mower. Even the sales person who was in charge of set up and demoing the flails I tried was convinced it was a pure and simple WASTE OF MONEY to use a flail in a situation where a rotary was (more than) capable of doing the same job.

Thanks for the insight. I have to say I'm more comfortable going the rotary route as well. Is there a decent option for a 30hp tractor? My 50hp tractor if fitted with a backhoe and it's a pita to take it on and off. I see the 8' Land Pride is rated for 30hp, but that's the minimum.

I think a finish mower isn't out of the question either. I already have a 6' bush hog and most of what I'm cutting is not as rough as I first thought. It's just grass mostly.

/ Large Area Mowing #24  
golfsuper I have a JD 3720 cab and I pull a woods DS96 pull type rotary mower (8 foot dull spindle type bush hog). My tractor is rated at 35 PTO HP. It pulls the mower great 5mph in horse pastures with the a/c on in the summer you could go faster if terrain permits. I do mow some hilly fields that I have to drop into A range but that is 3.7mph. Hope this helps.

/ Large Area Mowing #25  
Don't expect to be able to operate a towed
mower with your backhoe installed on your
tractor!

/ Large Area Mowing
Don't expect to be able to operate a towed
mower with your backhoe installed on your
tractor!

Yea, think I know that. Appreciate your input, but I'm going rotary which means I don't need any more opinions on flails. Thanks.

/ Large Area Mowing #27  

Thanks for the insight. I have to say I'm more comfortable going the rotary route as well. Is there a decent option for a 30hp tractor? My 50hp tractor if fitted with a backhoe and it's a pita to take it on and off. I see the 8' Land Pride is rated for 30hp, but that's the minimum.

I think a finish mower isn't out of the question either. I already have a 6' bush hog and most of what I'm cutting is not as rough as I first thought. It's just grass mostly.

Being grossly misslead AS you are inferrring and offering ones opinion based on ones 30 plus years personal experience with finish flail mowers are two different things.

A commercial mowing enterprise covering huge areas of highway median and verges and an end user with a specific area that will be decreasing over time due to potential housing development are two different things. Only he knows what the conditions are or may be on this is property not including any hidden objects that were dumped there or can be impacted and thrown by a rotary mower or rotary brush mower.

My simply describing the Vrisimo line of flail mowers or flail shredders previously as an option for what he needs was only a courtesy to him or her. I dont have a financial interest in any of this nor can one honestly compare highway mowing operations with an end user with a limited area of mowing.

The Vrisimo organisation has been building a high quality line of flail mowers for many years and the 6 Super" model flail mowers were rated with 40 to 60 horse power tractors for all six units.

/ Large Area Mowing #28  
Is there a decent option for a 30hp tractor? My 50hp tractor if fitted with a backhoe and it's a pita to take it on and off.

That's why I suggested the Rhino TS12, it's rated within 5hp of your smallest tractor and you should be able to mow grass without a problem (at a decent speed). Wing mowers are easier to pull than fixed deck mowers because the spindles are staggered and the decks are open underneath so material isn't funneled up next to the blades. The material can be cut and slung out of the way instead of the blades having to mulch the cuttings over and over. But the Bushhog 2212 does offer shrouds that can be bolted on if that is desired...

/ Large Area Mowing #29  
a 5 to 6' rotary rough cout mower will not be out of line for a good 30hp machine.

I'd have to agree with FWJ.. having used flails doing roadside mowing.. we went back to rotary cutters.. saved a bunch of money and time.. and maintenance.

for the average user.. a rotary is a good tool..

all mowers have their niche and limitations.. but in many cases.. when one fills a niche good.. it costs alot to shoehorn another into it's place..

soundguy

/ Large Area Mowing #30  
Hi Like I stated earlier in the post, a 10-12 ft pull bushhog is the ticket for you. Like FWJ and Soundguy,have stated, I believe they are right ,Ive mowed several acres of ground as Ive stated and the rotary is my choice. Like the saying goes YOU CANT BEAT A MAN AT HIS OWN GAME, I agree with FWJ AND SOUNDGUY. ROTARY is your best BET.