Large Public Auction - City of Toronto

/ Large Public Auction - City of Toronto #1  

Luremaker

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18
Here is a link to an auction site auctioning off City of Toronto's surplus equipment. There is lots of neat stuff. Tractors, snowblowers, sanders, seeders, aerators, rototillers, grader blades, box blades, sweepers, dump trailers, finish mowers, bush hogs and more. If you live close by you may find a deal. The auction is on Saturday Jan 19/09.

Run list : Webcast photo preview | North Toronto Auction

498278_1_Medium.jpg

498287_1_Medium.jpg

487415_1_Medium.jpg

/ Large Public Auction - City of Toronto #2  
Thanks for the link.
Wow they have a FlyMo. I have only ever seen one of those in my life.:eek:

/ Large Public Auction - City of Toronto #3  
Ok, curiosity got the better of me and I went and looked at the fly mower that I never heard of and still can't figure out what it does?
Bill

/ Large Public Auction - City of Toronto #4  
The city of Toronto sure knows how to spend the people's money.

/ Large Public Auction - City of Toronto #5  
Ok, curiosity got the better of me and I went and looked at the fly mower that I never heard of and still can't figure out what it does?
Bill

I've never seen one personally but have seen commercials and think I get the concept, basically just a lightweight mower with no wheels that is designed to just hover over the ground probably from a fan shaped blade or a 2nd fan blade above the cutting blade.
Kinda hokey, don't think they ever really took off :)

/ Large Public Auction - City of Toronto #6  
I've never seen one personally but have seen commercials and think I get the concept, basically just a lightweight mower with no wheels that is designed to just hover over the ground probably from a fan shaped blade or a 2nd fan blade above the cutting blade.
Kinda hokey, don't think they ever really took off :)

Thats what I was thinking also, but that would be pushing the grass down and not lifting it up to cut.
Bill

/ Large Public Auction - City of Toronto #7  
Thats what I was thinking also, but that would be pushing the grass down and not lifting it up to cut.
Bill

You got me, never thought of that, like I said I've never seen one but some how it hovers with air power, maybe the air is channeled around the perimeter of the deck blowing down outside the circumference of the cutting blade.

/ Large Public Auction - City of Toronto #8  
Years ago I saw a FlyMo being used at a boys home right beside my place. It sort of hovered and slid around. Might be good for trimming and ditches.
Of course everything is on youtube

/ Large Public Auction - City of Toronto #9  
Bill

Has no wheels, works like a hovercraft!
Greatest thing on slopes as it sits on a cushon of air and being 2 stroke would not burn up the engines. 4-strokes being mostly splash lubed would last 2 days at best.
They had to discontinue as it was not possible to meet the current safety and OSHA laws.
They all used 2-stroke engins as RPM's were needed to make that 'cushion of air' and I only know of LawnBoy ever making them.
Professional landscapers will do anything to keep them operational.

Flymo was the brand name of Lawnboy's 'hover' unit.

Last edited:
   / Large Public Auction - City of Toronto #10  
We had one of the original FLYMO's when they first came out and it worked great. The fan is a squirrel cage type and blows the air up to the bottom side of the mowers body and down the sides not directly down where it would flatten the grass. It was the best things on a slope you could get. There is another company making them now or atleast was a year or so ago. See their video here. YouTube - Hover Mower by Eastman Industries

Rich