late hay

/ late hay #1  

amberg

Bronze Member
Tractor
oliver 1855 ford 4000 jd 5320 ford 2n
how late can you cut a alfalfa orchard grass mix? we had no rain here all summer, until the first of oct. now my orchard grass is growing again, but the alfalfa has gone dormant, should I mow it over now to get the alfalfa and the O.C. to come back before it freezes? ( it might make 12 to 15 bales to the acre ) it is new grass I don't want it to freeze out!

thanks!

amberg

/ late hay #2  
How are you going to get it dried enough to bale? That is the problem now with Ohio weather.

/ late hay #3  
I was always taught not to mow after Labor Day if you wanted it to come back next year. For what it is worth.

/ late hay
How are you going to get it dried enough to bale? That is the problem now with Ohio weather.

we are supposed to have about 6 days of sunshine and 70 degree weather here in Va I think I am going to take a chance and cut it.

/ late hay #5  
I have cut hay late and it is very hard to get dry. Plan on it taking a week or more. Hope it works out.

/ late hay #6  
Amberg, good luck with it. I know it's been crazy dry in central and SW Virginia this summer. I think we got all the rain up here. Let us know how it turns out for you.

/ late hay
well I baled it yesterday, it was 80 degrees here so it was dry enough. it made about 14 bales to the acre. I think it will still have time to grow back some. it is supposed to rain here today, so I will see.

/ late hay #8  
well I baled it yesterday, it was 80 degrees here so it was dry enough. it made about 14 bales to the acre. I think it will still have time to grow back some. it is supposed to rain here today, so I will see.

I know this is late.... but... alfalfa needs about 500-600 growing degree days before the hard freeze.... that allows the leaves to put nutrients to the roots for next growing season... something to think about for next year...
We get temps down to -10 and the alfalfa and orchard grass do just fine through the winter...