Laundry Washing Machine Lint Filter & Septic Field

/ Laundry Washing Machine Lint Filter & Septic Field #1  

arto98607

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota F3060, Grasshopper 721D, Ford 1310, John Deere 440 ICD, John Deere 300
We have about 40 year old septic field which is working fine, but laundry washing lint has been a concern for quite some time, however I did not want to install a septic outlet filter because accessing it outside say every 2 - 3 months is something I am trying to avoid!
Installing this type of 100 micron filter was an alternative I had been contemplating, but delaying mainly due to not really having a place where this setup could be hidden out of sight, but finally decided to de best I could figure out & install it.

It's installed in that spot so it could be screwed directly into a wall stud while it still clears the adjacent cabinet door - It could be elevated more if moved further to right, but trying to avoid that.

The bottom outlet pipe is pretty close to top of the washer so I decided to improvise & custom-make a 90 degree turn on it which is against the instructions - otherwise the drain hose would be rubbing against the machine top.

So far so good, after couple of loads of laundry.

I will post updates later.

Lint filter with a spare bag:
IMG_6733.JPG

Lint from one medium size load:
IMG_6734.JPG

/ Laundry Washing Machine Lint Filter & Septic Field
To keep lint, especially man-made synthetic fibers away from the septic tank & drainage field!

Bacteria does not work on synthetic fibers and many floating fibers will end up in the drainage field....

How long before it clogs up is anyone's guess?

Last edited:
   / Laundry Washing Machine Lint Filter & Septic Field #4  
Adding one reduces the amount of non-digestible debris going into the septic tank; sand, plastic fibers, etc., that don't degrade. The concern is also that the finer particles potentially flowing through the septic system to the drain field where they add to the biofilm growing in and outside the pipes, clogging the drain field more quickly.

Although they are more focused on floating items like fats, septic tank exit filters/brushes also help reduce the load on the drain field.

Once you install one, you realize how much crud gets washed into your septic tank. We had one years ago just to keep the line to the city sewer clean and a couple of loads of laundry would fill it.

Whether this is an issue for you depends on a lot of variables; the soil type in your drain field, the ratio of of septic tank volume to flow, and the extent of man made fibers and soil in the laundry. At a minimum, I would file it under an easy way to extend the life of a septic system, and the time between pump outs.

All the best,

Peter

/ Laundry Washing Machine Lint Filter & Septic Field #5  
It has never been a problem in our 40+ year old septic system. I have never heard of this being an issue.

Googling the most common septic tank problems. Lint accumulation is not on any of the lists.

/ Laundry Washing Machine Lint Filter & Septic Field #6  
It might not be a bad idea for those who use fabric softener.

/ Laundry Washing Machine Lint Filter & Septic Field #7  
We just had our tank pumped after a bit over 2 years. Only 2 in house. We have a filter/trap(?) in the tank and it was about 3/4 full. Owner operator wasn't concerned, saying we were fine, but try to stay in 2year+/- schedule.

/ Laundry Washing Machine Lint Filter & Septic Field #8  
I'm new to a front loading washer and I don't use fabric softener. I found this online, to use white vinegar in the softener spot instead. I tried it on a bunch of t-shirts and they were soft, it was if they were ironed too. Plus it helps to remove any excess soap from your clothes.

/ Laundry Washing Machine Lint Filter & Septic Field #9  
This isn’t really legal, but we have our washing machine drain plumbed to an outdoor drainage settling basin. Washing machine drain water is bad for septic systems for reasons other than lint. Bleach also destroys the bacterial colonies in the septic field.

/ Laundry Washing Machine Lint Filter & Septic Field #10  
I put in our septic system so I am pretty well acquainted with it. It is the infiltrator type. The drain field is comprised of 4 50 foot long 3 foot wide ditches that are 2 feet deep. The ditches are covered by a plastic clamshell that is 1 foot high and the clamshell is covered with 1 foot of dirt. In the middle of each ditch is a 4 inch capped pipe that sticks up about a foot. Removing the cap allows me to inspect the inside of the clamshells. In the 17 years we have been using the septic system I have never seen anything but water inside the clamshells, except of course dirt. So I wonder if a lint filter would do much good.
Eric