Lawn Aerator(s)

/ Lawn Aerator(s) #11  
Be careful that you actually get an aerator. Many many people make the mistake and get a device which just pokes holes in the soil compacting it. It is not as beneficial as a true aerator which pulls plugs from the soil.

/ Lawn Aerator(s) #12  
A core aerator is what you want. One that has independent spoon wheels on the axle will let you make turns without tearing up the lawn. The Frontier Aerator that I purchased works real well. The core aerators do not compact the soil like the spike aerators tend to do.

/ Lawn Aerator(s) #13  
But don't you find that even with individual wheels there is enough lateral movement of the "spoons" while turning that it tears the turf quite a bit? I know that with mine I can do large radius turns if I'm careful but if I try to turn sharp I rip the sod more than I'd like.

Yes, on very sharp turns just about any aerator will drag the spoons sideways somewhat and tear the sod.

The aerator knowledge on TBN as shown in these posts is impressive. Most people have never heard of them and the few that know about them have not used them.

Now I'm going to have to come up with those pictures to make a meaningful contribution to the good advice herein.

/ Lawn Aerator(s) #14  
Ok, here are the promised pictures if anyone is interested.

/ Lawn Aerator(s) #15  
Beat this thread to death but there is a new listing on eBay for what looks to be a fairly nice one. It is in Manteca, CA, $200 to start.

Item # 250626079842

/ Lawn Aerator(s) #16  
Have you checked a rental place near you? This is something that you don't do very often. Probably best to rent. The rental place here on the other side of town rents 3ph, motor driven and pull behind aerators.

Lawn rolling is only done after seeding to push the seed better into the ground.

Ralph