Lawn Sprinklers

/ Lawn Sprinklers #11  
I agree on the Rainbird brass heads , Ive got 12 of them that over 10 years old With No issues & I Have Really Nasty Well water .

I Also Have 20 or so of the plastic Ones That I,d be Lucky to Get 1 or 2 working Beacause They Constanlly Plug up Or Stick from the hard & Gritty water . Pure Junk IMO , Unless You Have Really good water . :eek:

I,m Assuming the Newer ones are as good as quality . Bob

/ Lawn Sprinklers #12  
The brass rainbirds have held up well for me- you can get them at some farm supplies and at irrigation places. They can be taken apart and cleaned up when they get filled with stuff- they aren't inexpensive though.

/ Lawn Sprinklers
really great ideas, thanks. It hadn't occur to me to fab up a base for rainbirds, what a really great idea.

I ended up buying a couple of Gardenas from my chainsaw repair place - evidently they are good, and and have a lifetime warranty even if they don't work... we'll see. But I'll almost certainly fab up a rainbird head too.

Nelson has been horrible for me (as has gilmour), even the expensive metal ones. Basically the big box store stuff has been garbage for me, I've literally run through 15 or so. And even though I've 60psi, not enough flow to get the daisy chaining to work.

/ Lawn Sprinklers #15  
really great ideas, thanks. It hadn't occur to me to fab up a base for rainbirds, what a really great idea.

I ended up buying a couple of Gardenas from my chainsaw repair place - evidently they are good, and and have a lifetime warranty even if they don't work... we'll see. But I'll almost certainly fab up a rainbird head too.

Nelson has been horrible for me (as has gilmour), even the expensive metal ones. Basically the big box store stuff has been garbage for me, I've literally run through 15 or so. And even though I've 60psi, not enough flow to get the daisy chaining to work.

i have a couple Gardina's. One impact on a base and one oscillating "fan" type. While theyre good, there no wheres the same quality as one of the brass rainbirds. I find the direction control (that sets the area you want to water) is pretty flimsy. The fan one is also quite light, so it has a tendancy to get bumped around and not stay where you want it.

Plus they're NOT cheap... For the price of a Gardena on a base, you could get a Rainbird and make a mount.

Good luck with the Gardena (there not as bad as im making them sound), but this thread has me thinking that im going to retire my Gardenas buy a rainbird when i get to the irrigation store next week and fab up a mount for it (bro says he can get me a deal :D).

Gardena does make a very nice garden hose though. Complete with solid brass ends. I have one of them too, and its been great.

/ Lawn Sprinklers #16  
My inground sprinkler system runs on well water. What I did this past year for the vegetable garden was to fab my own sprinkler system because all the ones that I have used in the past had crapped out after one season. It is run off well water and fed through a 3/4" hose. The riser is made out of 3/4" PVC and the impact sprinkler screwed directly into the top. Mine is attached to a post sunk in the middle of the veggie garden but there is no reason it couldn't be made portable. As others have said, the Rainbird impact sprinklers seem to handle hard, mucky well water better than most. Use the largest nozzle that you can depending on the line pressure and coverage that you want.

I'm always skeptical of those sprinklers that say they can be daisy chained together and give 90 foot diameter coverage, especially from a domestic water supply. They must have a great deal more water pressure than any house that I have ever lived in. Either that or they are using the smallest possible nozzle giving about 1gph delivery.

/ Lawn Sprinklers #17  
I have also used the gear drive irrigation heads and they work great. It is a little bit more trouble adjusting them for a particular pattern because you have to carry a tool (that they come with) to make adjustments. You will also want a little more substancial base because they spray with pretty good force. I find the spray a bit easier on the lawn than an impact head, but my soil is basically beach sand. You also get a little tighter control on where the water goes.

I bought a cheap gear drive portable sprinkler, but it seems to have all of the same issues that a cheap impact has.