Lawn Sweeper Stripped Drive Gears, HOW!

/ Lawn Sweeper Stripped Drive Gears, HOW! #1  

drizler

Platinum Member
Ok I just put together an 52”Ohio Steel lawn sweeper yesterday. I carefully used it a couple hours raking up the built up grass in the yard. I do mean carefully too. Regular mowing speed no logs rocks ect . looking back I see a wheel fell off . Then I see the wheel has some good nicks in the cast in plastic teeth ouch. I push back the axle to see the other one gnawed almost to nothing totally shot.
The thing came fully assembled in that drive part wheels on and all. So whatever happened I must have done it, the question is what??? My only thought is possibly I took too tight a turns as when mowing the last part of a yard. i see people towing these things behind ATVs really moving . All I was using was my Simplicity garden tractor.. Nonit never hit or scraped anything just wheel popped off Which if I don’t miss my guess was held on with a 🤬 Push Pin. I didn’t bother really checking it out as it was getting ready to pour and ther was a tru load of grass to unload. So what did I do so I don’t do this again😪

/ Lawn Sweeper Stripped Drive Gears, HOW! #2  
I'm sure it has or needed a stop washer on both the inside and outside of the wheel. It sounds like the wheel had too much slop. If it did have both washers to keep the wheels from hitting the frame, I'd add one or more to keep it in line. Also, if you didn't do it, I'd add some lubricant to the wheel and axle so that it turns freely.

/ Lawn Sweeper Stripped Drive Gears, HOW!
Never mind I FOUND IT🤬. Take a look at those cotter pins! That’s how I found them in the hub caps . I ALMOST priefd those off got a peek but the I thought 😩nawww this is straight from the assembly line so it’s FINE. I’ll post a couple pics Jan’s that’s just as I found them . Who or whatever bent those over missed and perfectly equally to boot.
I will be calling the company on Monday for some new wheels . Made in the USA no less.
IMG_2673.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2674.jpeg
    IMG_2674.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2672.jpeg
    IMG_2672.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 78