Lawn Tractor Advice Needed

/ Lawn Tractor Advice Needed #11  
<font color=blue>Have you seen the new John Deere decks?</font color=blue>

Richard, things have been so hectic the last 8 days, I'm having a hard time finding time to read all the posts, much less answer those I'd like to respond to, but I need to think longer before I start typing./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I erred in my earlier response and should have said the ease of removing the deck (no tools needed, swing one lever around to relieve the tension on the belt, lift the belt off one pulley, pull two pins, slide the deck forward a couple of inches to release the front, then slide it out the side) was one reason I bought the Cub Cadet in 1995. All the Deeres I looked at that year, and one a friend had owned for several years, required wrenches to remove several nuts and bolts and was not fun to get it on or off. I haven't looked at any of the new ones lately, so apparently that has changed. Sorry if I mislead you, Linda.

Bird

/ Lawn Tractor Advice Needed #12  
Heehaw,

I bought the B5100 primarily to use as a mower. It came with an old 48” Continental Belden finish mower. That I think had not been removed from the 3pt hitch for years. When I told the dealer I really wanted something that I could also use to maintain my 150-yard driveway. He told me he would give me a new Lands Pride 48” box blade.

The mower works great for me on my weed, and tree limb infested lawn. It is low enough to fit under most of my trees. I was very skeptical about it being able to pull the 48” box blade however it does do the job. I did have to learn to adjust the top link to get the right angle but now I can do a good job on the driveway. Plus it is handy to level out the yard where I some times dig up or burn out a tree stump. I also use it in the winter to pull a small trailer loaded with firewood. I do not have a tiller for it and will never need one there are just too many large rocks in the yard. But I do plan to get a very small 38” rotary mower (brush hog) later this summer.

/ Lawn Tractor Advice Needed #13  
Bird,
Yep the old deere's were that way and a real pain!!! The new one that I bought last year though comes off almost the exact same way that you just described. Maybe deere copied their design.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Lawn Tractor Advice Needed #14  
Richard,

When I went to the JD dealer and told him my requirements he told me the GT235 was the one I needed. The price is about $4800. He seemed to dismiss the LT series, saying that nothing under 18hp will take the hills - do you think I should still consider the LT 166? Also I saw in their brochure that you can get wheel weights - do these make a difference? I'm not wedded to the $2500 price range, but as this would be a secondary mowing machine, I don't want to overpay for my needs. On the other hand, I respect quality. Are JD's really better than anything else?

There is a Husqvarna dealer near me. They look attractive because they will take a trade-in and they can do a 46" deck on a 20hp machine. I am finding that the heavier duty machines usually come with a larger deck, which I don't need. Apart from having an unpronouncable name, are Husqvarna's any good? - the prices are very reasonable, so there's probably no magic.

Linda

/ Lawn Tractor Advice Needed #15  
Linda,

It's not unpronouncable, just unspellable (for me) Around here, we just call them "Huskies". I have one of thier chain saws and it is built much better than the typical homowners saw! They are the tool of choice for loggers around here. If they make mowers the same way, buy one!

I have a cub cadet 18 horse with 48" deck. 3 years old now and the only problem is a flat front tire. Starts easy and cuts grass very well. I had a JD LX series before, but got a better deal at the cub dealer this go round. I think both are good, but in comparison to my old JD, the Cub is better built. Better than the current JD's? I can't say as everybody is always improving.

How steep are your hills? I have a section I cut that goes up 10 feet in about 35-40 yards of distance and all of my riders went up with no problems on dry grass. Only the push mower complained, but that's a different story!

John Bud

/ Lawn Tractor Advice Needed #16  
Linda,
They do that all the time! They make the lower price models and then try and get you into the more expensive ones. That LT series is a solid machine. My neighbors does hills, plows snow, etc. and no problems at all. I wouldn't say that JD is the best. I think Kubota is probably just as good. Then you have some of the other heavy duty machines that landscape guys use but those are really out of reach. I don't know much about the husqvarna at all. The dealer that we have here will let you take the unit home that you want and try it out first. I'd talk to your dealer about doing that. The GT235 is a full bore lawn and garden tractor! You already have a tractor. If I'm not mistaken you're like my situation was and you just need something to do where the tractor can't get to. For that the LT 166 should be more than adequate. It already comes with a 48" deck as well. I wish now that is what I would have gotten. I got that LX 279 and it is way more than I needed. It's a nice machine but I would have been just as good with the LT 166. I listened to the salesman though...

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Lawn Tractor Advice Needed #17  
Richard and others:

I was the one who said I wanted to spend around $2500, and I just needed a small tractor to do the bits that my Kubota B2710 couldn't get to and you all gave me great advice. Needless to say I ignored it all, spent way more than I intended and bought a JD GT235. I tried lots of tractors, and it wasn't just the free hat that convinced me. This is a nimble little machine that takes hills brilliantly, and is much more stable on slopes than my former Kubuta BX2200. It cuts fantastically and has an incredible turning radius (much tighter than the BX2200). I'm delighted with it. I think what persuaded me was that this tractor can also do some heavier duty work so I don't need to change attachments on my bigger tractor all the time. Yes it's way more than I need, but I am sure I can find all sorts of reasons for buying it. Thank you all very much for the advice - even if I chose not to take it!!

Linda

/ Lawn Tractor Advice Needed #18  
That JD will last you a long time, I think you will be happy

18-29691-tractor.gif
18-30376-Paul.jpg

/ Lawn Tractor Advice Needed #19  
That's a good machine Linda. You are right it's more than you need but it's always better to be over than under powered. You sure won't need to buy another one for 20 years or so.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Lawn Tractor Advice Needed #20  
Linda,

My parents have had a Husqvarna now for about 3 years and absolutely love it. No problems to date, despite mowing about 3 acres regularly. They bought it because of their reputation for ruggedness and reliability. Also the orange color would match your Kubota! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG