Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman

/ Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Isn't comparing a JD to a Craftsman like comparing a BMW to a Kia? )</font>

Pretty close.

/ Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Isn't comparing a JD to a Craftsman like comparing a BMW to a Kia? )</font>

Maybe if your comparing a Craftsman with an upper end JD.... not an L series.

/ Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman #13  
I've been shopping around for a lawn tractor for about a year now and have driven a bunch and have done a lot of research. I'm not an expert but I have formed some opinions. The L series JDs are a small notch better than the Craftsmans and I don't consider them "real JDs" (just my opinion). You need to get at least an X series to get a real JD. The quality difference is very evident and the fact that a you get real engine (Kawasaki vs B&S or Kohler Courage). The engine in the tractor tells you a lot about how well it's built. It's a quick litmus test for quality (not perfect...but pretty good). I always though I would spend $1500 on a lawn tractor but now it looks like I'll spend twice that to get one that would last.

/ Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman #14  
No doubt when you step up to an X you are getting a better machine. But I'm comparing the average $1500 mowers out there. To me there is little difference between any at that price range. It's not fair to say that a JD X300+ is a better machine than the Craftsman... because they don't even make a machine to compete with it. You can spend 12k+ on a top of the line JD GT. As for the entry level machines, regardless of brand, they are all pretty equal. And to be honest... with a little maintenance and care... they can hold up for a long time. I hear a lot of folks talk about buying one that will last "20 years." I've seen a bunch of old inexpensive mowers last 15+ years. And by that time, no matter what I paid for it, I'd probably be ready for a new one anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How does an entry level mower today compare with the cheap mowers that are 15 to 20 years old now?)</font>

Good question. But its all relative. A cheap JD today is about like a cheap Craftsman today.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I wouldn't expect a John Deere 100 series to last as long as some old Craftsman. )</font>

I guess only time will tell. I just think a lot of people assume that because a mower doesn't cost $3000+ that it is a piece of junk that will only last one season.

/ Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman #16  
In comparing entry level $1500-2000 machines from JD, Cub, Toro, Craftsman, Husqvarna, etc, its pretty much just a matter of choosing what color tractor you want, the working components are all about identical. You get either a Kohler Courage or Briggs Intek engine coupled by a belt to a Hydro-Gear sealed hydrostatic transaxle and another belt going to a mower deck. Everything else is just each maker's own recipe of the same basic ingredients that are, "economy," components. Just pick your color if it's this type of tractor you want. Often times the type of service you get with these machines makes or breaks if the tractor is good or not. During the warranty period Sears will come and fix a Craftsman right at your house, and most JD and CC dealers will pick your tractor up and leave you a loaner. With some of the other brands, you can be left out in the cold or be responsible for transporting the tractor somewhere for repairs.

When you move up the line and compare the medium price range LGT's, things start to change dramatically. For instance a JD X300 and a CC 2542 are quite a bit different beasts that go out of the league of the machines Craftsman makes.

-Fordlords-

/ Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman #17  
The entry level Deere 102 offers a gear tranny for $1399, and comes with a 42" deck. Deere offers a snowplow and a snowblower for this model, but this is a pretty light tractor to be using for large snow removal jobs. The 42" deck would scalp less than the 48" or 54" decks some other tractors come with. In this price range, I'd be looking at this, or the Craftsman/Husqvarna clones and see which one fit me physically, had the best layout for controls, leg room, belly room (if needed) and a comfy seat.

/ Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman #18  
I bought a mid range crapsmen a few years ago Its complete junk.
Had to rebuild deck first year and every year there on mower belts
brakes stopped working second year. Tranny (gearshift) and engine (brigs 19.5hp) is good. Had to replace front axle with cast iron one from older tractor. Comfortable ride easy to get on. I'm also in western pa about 1 1/2 acres. Way to much to mow for these lower end tractors 1/2 acre max. Lower end john deer look to be just as cheep john deere probaly doesn't even make them. On a small lot these would be fine but you will wear it out Quickly on two acres. I would definetly go with hydro Much easier to mow with. But I think your most reliable and fastest choice is a mower for the massey. I use A flail and it does a great job And no problems. Twice as fast as the lt. Plus less than a 1/3 the fuel with the diesel than the gas. So if your tractors diesel you can save the extra spent in fuel. Check out agri-supply.com they have good prices on coroni flail and finish mowers. If its a safety concern do yourself a favor and go to dealers and look at there tractors or at least the higher end models in the box stores. More money spent know will be less later. Plus the agravation of repair. Also the for sears to come to your house you have to buy a warranty plan. At least thats way it was when i bought mine.
Otherwise you have to take it to a service center. My 2c

/ Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman #19  
I just bought a Craftsman YS4500 LE with 42" MMM for my second tractor for $1399, which is a heck of a deal. The low-end JD(s) are not any better than the low-end Sears, Cub Cadet(s), etc. They are all in the same class. I am happy with what I got from the Sears for $ 1399.

/ Lawn Tractor - JD vs Craftsman #20  
garchib said:
...... The low-end JD(s) are not any better than the low-end Sears, Cub Cadet(s), etc. They are all in the same class. I am happy with what I got from the Sears for $ 1399.

There is some truth to the above statement, after all $1399 buys only so much. What you need to do is evaluate the features of each machine you are looking at vs. what you want to do. If you see 3 tractors all at $1399, all seemingly similar, then it comes down to leg room, comfy seat, dealer that will service it, headlights if you need them, parts support, ease of reaching controls, ease of removing the deck for cleaning and changing blades, ease of changing the oil, etc. Brand "A" may be a nice machine, but have features that less meaningful to YOU than brand "B" which has a better seat for your bad back, or maybe brand "C" compares well with the others, but the dealer is a long established guy 2 miles up the road making getting parts and service MUCH better than the 30 mile trip to brand "B"'s shop that is never open after work. When at any given price range, these factors all become part of the equation. A personal example was when I recommended a 2004 Cub GT1500 series to my brother. Great little tractor in his price range and would do all he needs, but when he sat his 6'-5" frame in the seat, his knees were almost by his ears. Not nearly enough leg room, and it would have been a bad choice for him. A tall right hander is gonna have different needs in control placement than a short left hander. And thats why folks buy different machines for what might look like the same job.