Tractor Sizing Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact?

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #11  
I have a jd la145 with a 4ft deck and a gc 2400 with a 5 ft deck. In my yard it takes 5 hr with the jd 4ft deck and only 3.5 hr or less with the massey and the 5ft deck. With the bigger tractor you can cut faster as well as wider. JD has tractors equal to my massey and I would have bought one except massey had a much better loan program.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact?
I guess if I were you, I would try really hard to be realistic about how much landscaping work you would expect from your tractor vs. just having a very good mower with the ability to pull a trailer etc. Imagine breaking your back moving trees around for planting and digging holes while you stare at an X520 parked in the garage that can't do a thing to help you............then imagine mowing with a 1026R that you paid 3 times as much for while staring at a loader parked in the corner of your lot that you don't use anymore. Which one makes you mad? Sometimes it boils down to how much money you have to spend.
I agree. The best bet is to be as realistic as possible. However, at this point I just don't know what I don't know. In general, I tend to buy things that are a bit better than what I think I need, believing that I'll be a lot happier having "a little bit too much" than "not quite enough." What I do know is that I'll be doing a lot more mowing than anything else, and I'd be disappointed if my tractor doesn't do that really well. I imagine using some kind of tow-behind wagon, sprayer, or spreader once or twice a month all year round. And I imagine wanting to use a loader or a backhoe about 4 times per year. Based on your response and others, it seems like the 1000 series tractor will be overkill for my purposes. I certainly don't need a machine like the 1026R for the mowing part.

Is your lot a city type, or is it rural where you can have a garden and burn brush and the like?
The lot is in a rural setting within the city limits. Small vegetable gardens are common in the neighborhood, but I imagine that burning brush is frowned upon.

Thanks for your thoughtful response - I appreciate it!

I have a jd la145 with a 4ft deck and a gc 2400 with a 5 ft deck. In my yard it takes 5 hr with the jd 4ft deck and only 3.5 hr or less with the massey and the 5ft deck. With the bigger tractor you can cut faster as well as wider. JD has tractors equal to my massey and I would have bought one except massey had a much better loan program.

Very helpful information, thank you! I think its going to have to be either a 54" deck or a 60" deck. I would definitely like to be able to mow the whole ~1.5 acre lawn within about 30-40 minutes, so maybe bigger is better. Is there any difference in cut quality with the bigger decks?

Any reason you didn't also consider Kubota?

I haven't completely ruled out Kubota, but I've always admired JD and I figured I'd start there. Once I've figured out the form factor I want, I will check a couple alternative brands before making a final decision. Thanks for the suggestion.

The 700's are a fine machine. I have a x748SE. I've had it 6 years and put 875 hours on it. It is a diesel. I mow 5-7 acres with it. It is great. I think I would get a different salesman if he didn't know about the diesel models.

Good to hear from somebody that has a lot of experience with the X700. Thanks for posting. I obviously got a salesman that's not very familiar with the X700s. He's obviously biased towards the sub-compacts. I'll talk with some other dealers. Hopefully, I can find one that keeps the X748/X749 in stock so I can actually see one.

Another consideration would be landscaping. If you do lots of paths and trees and other 'obstacles', those 62in decks may become a little too big. Just saying.

Not trying to dissuade the diesel. I certainly wouldn't mind one. I don't think anyone here will fault you for 'buying up'. )

I'm attracted to the diesel for its fuel savings and longevity. Sounds like the 54in deck might be the best balance between coverage and maneuverability. What do you think? The property was recently graded and has a gentle slope. No big hills or ravines, other than a fairly average storm ditch out front.

A 749 has the option of a limited cat 1 3PH and rear 540 rpm pto so most of the small boxblades, landscape rakes and tillers will work well with it. Most of the attachments I use with mine will work well with the 1000 and 2000 series models. It also comes standard with two hydraulic remotes typically used for front blade or snowblower but can be used for other purposes too. I am well pleased with the x749 and get alot done with it. but when building, grading and moving lots of material initially you might be better off renting larger equipment for a weekend or two.

Good stuff! Have you run into any compatibility issues with the 4WS of the X749?

As your JD salesperson seems to be lacking in product knowledge I want to make sure you know that the loader is not available on AWS X700 tractors. 2WD / 4WD / 2WS are all OK - just not 4WS/AWS.

Understood (now). Thank you for saying so.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #19  
1.5 acres. is not a lot. and you might be better off with just a regular finishing mower. even a cheap riding lawn mower or garden tractor. vs a zero turn. so you could add a tiller. or buy ATV or garden tractor size, pull behind equipment.

if you really need to do a lot of digging, just "rent" a min excavator or small TLB or like. and just save up projects over a year or couple years, and just rent and do everything in a couple days, and take a couple days off of work if need be to do the work.

they do make FEL (front end loaders) for garden size tractors.

but to be honest, once you get flower beds and landscaping done, your done, for any were from 5 years to 20 years before things rot and need to be redone. and in between that time, you will be using small little tillers that look something like a weed whacker. due to no real space to get a tractor in to the areas without trying up stuff. and you will be using small little hand shovels to plant stuff, and metal garden rakes to smooth things out.

get a zero turn and just get a hitch welded up on it. it is a working machine, make it so you can use it, and stop fussing over looks. or get a riding lawn mower, in garden size ridling lawn mower. so you can put some attachments on it, like a tiller. or pull a small cart behind it. or just drive truck through the yard.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #20  
It's not always about what one NEEDS. If it were, I suspect we would all have a few less machines:D. If you can afford a super duper lawn mowing bad *** machine, Then I say get one!!! Sounds like the choice would be between a x748, x749, and a 1026R. You would be the envy of the neighborhood with any of those machines.