Laying new seed for lawn

/ Laying new seed for lawn #1  

lzicc

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
I have redone most of my yard landscape and am putting down new grass seed. I'm doing parts of it so I don't have to water everything all at once. I had screened topsoil brought in, 2 - 20 yard loads. What I do is I spread/rake the topsoil, spread the seed, lightly rake it again, roll it then throw a thin layer of mushroom manure over top. I then add straw over that to keep everything moist and protect it if we would get a heavy rain.

For one part of my yard, it was on a hill, so I used multiple straw erosion mats which were quite expensive, but the grass looks fantastic now so it was well worth it. I noticed the straw attached to this mat was shredded. It made me think, what if I get some bales of straw, run over it with the lawnmower to shred it, my bagger would contain it and spread it the shredded straw over the new seed. I did this last night and it worked out very well. I used less straw, it went down so much faster and really covered the area nicely. It also looks like it will absorb the water very well being shredded. I wonder if there is a downside to doing this. Since it is shredded, will it mat the grass easier or since it is shredded, will it erode away faster. Any thoughts?

/ Laying new seed for lawn
This is after weeks using the erosion mat. I just removed it when I took this picture.

Lawn.PNG

/ Laying new seed for lawn #3  
Anything thats flat i wouldnt bother with straw. Lay the seed. Rake with even a leaf rake and water real good. Seed should be starting to grow in 4-5 days and the straw will just be a pain to rake out.

/ Laying new seed for lawn #4  
I thought the whole point of straw was that you could leave it there and it would break down in place...?

/ Laying new seed for lawn #5  
I've had very good luck with straw, but I don't worry about shredding it. Just break down the bale and spread it over the seeded area, water and let it go. A year later, no sign of the straw.

/ Laying new seed for lawn #6  
If you have to put down more then a couple bales get a straw blower, way better then putting it down by hand and you use a lot less bales for an area. I have an old Goosen now and I'll never go back to putting straw down by hand!

/ Laying new seed for lawn #7  
I put some straw down by hand once. Two days later the wind had blown it all into the fields and road ditches.

If there is ever a next time, I will have it blown on and packed in. Or use the erosion mats Izicc used. Or even easier yet, have it blown on with a hydroseeder.

/ Laying new seed for lawn #8  
Farm I use to buy my straw from ran a chopper on his combine. Made hand spreading extremely easy. Just grab a leaf and shake it.
Also just paid $2 a bale. Wish I could still get it for that.

/ Laying new seed for lawn #9  
I thought the whole point of straw was that you could leave it there and it would break down in place...?

I did straw once and it went away on it's own or possibly with the help of the mower :laughing: