Laying Water pipe

/ Laying Water pipe #51  
PVC will Freeze and bust easily don't use it...
I would use PEX Pipe in areas that may indeed freeze, PEX Pipe will freeze solid and not crack or split. It is very resistant to changes in temp's..

This thread is 2 years old. I am sure OP has installed whatever he was doing by now.

/ Laying Water pipe #52  
I know this thread is old but I am surprised that everyone thinks that PVC comes in 10 foot lengths only.

You can get 20 footers in most sizes of plain end and bell end pipe. With bell end you don't need couplings and eliminate one potential leaky joint. Just be sure to pull in the proper direction plain end first, and you have less resistance.

Here's some info on one make of PVC pipe.
http://www.charlottepipe.com/Products/Assets/02C-PVC_List_Price/LP-PPDP (4-22-13).pdf

/ Laying Water pipe #53  
Any pipe will split when frozen. In freeze country you winterize (blow out), simple as that.

PVC vs. poly pipe is a regional thing that mostly depends on soil type, and thus, availability of the full range of fittings. The myth of PVC (or poly) being more susceptible to freeze is about 25 years old. You freeze it, it splits.

In sandy/loamy areas they can plow in poly. In the West they trench and put rigid PVC. If you have the full range of barb fittings available locally, and soil permits, I like working with poly... but where I live it's trench, and put in 20' sticks where applicable.

I have been doing a bunch of the latter today. I would like to see someone run a vibra-plow in this soil.

And yeah, that is an old thread....

/ Laying Water pipe #55  
These threads about pulling pipe with a subsoiler are great. I got lots of ideas and used some of them to pull 100 feet of 2" PVC last week. I live in northeast Texas and I'm lucky to have lots of sand with some clay. I bought a subsoiler from TSC and made a puller from a chain link fence corner post cap like I saw described in one of these posts. I hooked it to the foot of my subsoiler with a chain, dug a starting hole, dropped the subsoiler into it and pulled away. I did make a dry run to clear any roots. My Mahindra 3016 ripped through a few roots and never broke a sweat. My subsoiler buried the pipe 15" deep and was easier than I ever imagined. Thanks to everybody who has contributed to these threads.