leaf collection

/ leaf collection #11  
If your corrugated pipe was solid it might work but I am guessing that most of the static lift would be lost and suction would be minimal. I don't know how you could seal all the slits in your drainage tile for this project. Duct tape is the handyman's best friend so it may help here.

/ leaf collection
Success!

I just got done with my first test. I tediously covered all of those slits with little strips of duct tape about 1' long by 1/4" wide. It took an afternoon of cutting and taping, but the entire piece of tubing is now all but hermetically sealed. I took the unit outside with the tubing attached to the blower with a piece of bungee cord I found laying around the house, started the leaf vac up and to my surprise it gobbled up leaves wet and dry, big and small. my biggest surprise (and potential source of danger) was when the shredded material flew at me with a vengeance! So for now, no problems with suction. Step two will be to mount the vac on the trailer.

If it works, I've got a $5 truck loader!

SI2305

/ leaf collection #13  
Success!

I just got done with my first test. I tediously covered all of those slits with little strips of duct tape about 1' long by 1/4" wide. It took an afternoon of cutting and taping, but the entire piece of tubing is now all but hermetically sealed. I took the unit outside with the tubing attached to the blower with a piece of bungee cord I found laying around the house, started the leaf vac up and to my surprise it gobbled up leaves wet and dry, big and small. my biggest surprise (and potential source of danger) was when the shredded material flew at me with a vengeance! So for now, no problems with suction. Step two will be to mount the vac on the trailer.

If it works, I've got a $5 truck loader!

SI2305

heck yes
persistence pays huh
even if it is 1'x1/4" of an inch at a time:)

/ leaf collection #14  
My 27hp Husqy does a marvelous job of turning leaves to mulch. :thumbsup:

/ leaf collection #15  
Considering your physical issues (which are temporary) and the fact that you have only an acre to clean up, I suggest you save any money in buying new or modifying equipment and hire a local handyman to remove those leaves (using your blower).
Maybe a neighbor with a mower/vacuum could help...

Last edited:
   / leaf collection #16  
When you get it setup....sure would like to see some pics:thumbsup:

/ leaf collection
Hizoot and others,

You bet I'll post some pics. Actually, given my ailments--particularly recovery from pneumonia, I need to build back some strength, and I can find few ways better than to do something I love to do--in this case, not so much the raking but just knowing that I am adding to my garden's fertility. As I have stated before, I am not really an organic gardener, but I have always loved the idea of using my land's own bounty to increase its fertility, maybe that makes me an organic gardener, maybe it doesn't, but since these wonderful leave were going to be lost anyway, I consider this a win. I love using leaves in my garden. they make a great top-dressing and they help my suppress weeds (I hate weeding so I lay down a layer of newspaper and old computer paper as a weed barrier. This takes care of all but a tiny number of weeds and by that point, pulling out a weed becomes a trivial issue, not a chore). I still need a good organic layer above and below the barrier. Above to hold down the barrier, below to allow some aeration--besides, the worms love the leaves and help me out for free God bless the tiny little wigglers. Further, the exercise will do me plenty good in helping me regain my lost strength.

Basically the Blower/vac will be used two ways. First to "round up" the leaves into piles or windrow in its traditional capacity. Then, I plan to mount it temporarily my 8' trailer (2.5' high sides) and gently rake the pile/windrow into the tube opening. If it works anything like it did in my tests, there should be no problem whatsoever sucking up the leaves and shredding them as in my tests it eagerly sucked up both wet and dry leaves and reduced them to confetti and then blasted the bits right back in my face!

Anyway, thats my plan and I am sticking to it,

SI2305

/ leaf collection #18  
Anyway, thats my plan and I am sticking to it,

SI2305

SI2305,

Can I interrupt for a moment to ask how you use pine needles for the blueberries.

I LOVE Blueberries and am planning an entire hedge of them (I only have a couple now).

But I have 42 acres of mostly Loblolly Pine and I have pine needles EVERYWHERE and I would love to have a use for them.

Thanks in advance, and I hope and pray you are feeling better soon!
David

/ leaf collection
MossflowerWoods,

Basically, the main issue with planting blueberries is getting the soil Ph right. They love a nice acidic soil that will dissolve iron for them which they need in copious amounts. If you are going to plant a hedge of blueberries--I have something similar--I would first collect as many pine needles as I could and just lay them down on the ground in a nice large windrow. The longer they sit there, the better. This by itself will probably not do the whole trick for you but you will have a start.

When you go to actually plant, get some nice sandy loam with plenty of organic matter if possible and also consider a drip irrigation system as these little guys do NOT like to be dried out. You will also have to add an acidifier. Ammonium sulfate works nearly instantaneously but can cause issues with fertilization, even if it is a natural fertilizer like the Epsoma brands. Elemental sulfur will also get the job done but it takes longer, lasts longer and in my own opinion is the better alternative. You will want to do a very thorough Ph check before you plant, but when you do, rake off the pine needle windrow dig your hole, add your amended soil and recover with the pine needles. You may even wish to add some sulfur away from the drip zone as it will eventually become available to the blueberry plant. The pine needles will act as an excellent weed inhibitor as they will tend to make the ground too acidic for all but the hardiest of weeds. They will also act like any mulch and tend to keep the soil moist but not soaking. Some weeds will get through, but they come out easily and don't tend not propagate themselves.

Check nursery catalogs carefully for blueberry plants that are suitable for your area. Most Blueberries love a cold climate, but I live in Southern Illinois which is farther south than St. Louis or Washington D.C. Nonetheless, you can find blueberries that grow as far south as Florida. Also, when planting, do NOT fertilize. Most growers recommend not fertilizing until the second year. When I do fertilize, I use the Epsoma acid fertilizer--works like a charm.

One last item. I mentioned it before, but these plants are really picky about soil moisture, especially in their early years. I have ordered from a company called Dripworks and they sell every conceivable type of irrigation product. I use a type called the Katif emitter that was apparently pioneered by Israeli farmers growing strawberries in the desert. These emitters are pressure regulated so they emit the same amount of water regardless of height differential or run length and cost a mere 25 cents apiece (I use ones that run 1/2 gallon per hour--a nice, steady, slow drip). I don't want to sound like a catalogue, salesperson or advertisement, but my experience with them has been excellent. These emitters have allowed me to keep my soil moist but not soaking in virtually every type of weather--rain, or more likely in our area, blistering heat of summer combined with months-long drought.

I hope this helps you. Those needles do come in very handy and will help to maintain a consistent Ph, but you certainly want to check up on them in the first couple of years. As they start to rot and break down, the blueberries will send their shallow roots right into the crumbly material. Good luck on your project and thanks for your concern regarding my health. I sincerely mean that last statement as these comments on this board have helped me keep going and get my strength back

SI2305

/ leaf collection
Zebra, the 5$ truckloader!

Here are some pictures of the truck loader I have been working on. The whole project cost a whopping $5--and that was for a role of duct tape! I left the canvas bag to direct the flow of leaves into the trailer and to slow their exit so as to not create a leaf clipping tornado. I call it the Zebra because of the stripes from all the little strips of duct tape used to cover all the little slits on the tubing.

SI2305

Attachments

• The Zebra, the $5 truckloader 001r.jpg
    The Zebra, the $5 truckloader 001r.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 336
  • The Zebra, the $5 truckloader 002r.jpg
    The Zebra, the $5 truckloader 002r.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 273
  • The Zebra, the $5 truckloader 003r.jpg
    The Zebra, the $5 truckloader 003r.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 227
  • The Zebra, the $5 truckloader 004r.jpg