Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s

/ Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s #11  
They do and I did ask, but he said this job can get messy and they can't be responsible for my garage. Just as well, pushed me to load and haul her on the trailer. Now I know it'll tow fine. Till now I thought my trailer was too light. I guess that's the silver lining! Thanks

Glad that worked, you might take your FEL off if you have to do this again, that would save some weight and take some weight off the tongue.

/ Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s #12  
Glad you have a plan of action. I agree with BeezFun's suggestion about removing the FEL. That's something easy to do and very handy when the FEL isn't actually being used. Something to practice when you get the chance. Best of luck with the repair.

/ Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s #13  
There is most likely another oil seal behind the wiper seal that is visible from outside, the inner seal is what holds back the oil pressure. Good side is they will have to polish off that rust to make the repair and if too pitted will have to replace the rod.
Those single axle trailers work fine for hauling the lighter tractors, if you can get balanced right. I hauled my first one (B8200) home on a 5'X8" with 3500# axles but my axle was closer to center of trailer and had to stop and reposition 3 times before I got it right. Bought a tandem axle trailer soon after that.

/ Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s
There is most likely another oil seal behind the wiper seal that is visible from outside, the inner seal is what holds back the oil pressure. Good side is they will have to polish off that rust to make the repair and if too pitted will have to replace the rod.
Those single axle trailers work fine for hauling the lighter tractors, if you can get balanced right. I hauled my first one (B8200) home on a 5'X8" with 3500# axles but my axle was closer to center of trailer and had to stop and reposition 3 times before I got it right. Bought a tandem axle trailer soon after that.

When I dropped her off they told me this had happened before, infrequently, on other new tractors as well. Something about Kubota buying the cylinders in bulk and they sit around until installed sometimes allowing enough moisture inside to cause rusting. So yes, most probably an inner seal. Kinda hope they do replace the cylinder, that way both sides will be new and I won't need to worry about or expect the same thing on the right side.
My 1st go at trailering her, but I must have balanced her well. She rode very well, no sway, no bucking, no bouncing or banging on the tongue. When I bought in Nov, sales-guy took off the FEL just short of pulling the hyd conns, so I've seen it done but don't hav any 1st hand exp yet.
Only been with me for 1&1/2 mos, we're still just going steady - will get to the hardcore stuff soon enuf! :laughing:

Glad you have a plan of action. I agree with BeezFun's suggestion about removing the FEL. That's something easy to do and very handy when the FEL isn't actually being used. Something to practice when you get the chance. Best of luck with the repair.

Thanks Grandad, probably give it a go soon after I get her back. First I need to stiffen up my trailer ramp/gate with more angle. I'll post again regarding the repair... KW

/ Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s #16  
Thanks Grandad, probably give it a go soon after I get her back. First I need to stiffen up my trailer ramp/gate with more angle. I'll post again regarding the repair... KW

I use a similar 10 ft. trailer with my BX and likewise had to reinforce the ramp. Added a 1/4" x 2" angle running the length of the ramp under where each of the tires track when climbing the ramp. That has worked well for about 8 years of use now. Another suggestion is to get a pair of small jackstands to place under the back of the trailer when running your BX up or down the ramp. That avoids putting the entire weight of the BX on the back end of the trailer and putting a lot of upward pressure on the tongue and coupler while you're loading/unloading it.

I use a similar 10 ft. trailer with my BX and likewise had to reinforce the ramp. Added a 1/4" x 2" angle running the length of the ramp under where each of the tires track when climbing the ramp. That has worked well for about 8 years of use now. Another suggestion is to get a pair of small jackstands to place under the back of the trailer when running your BX up or down the ramp. That avoids putting the entire weight of the BX on the back end of the trailer and putting a lot of upward pressure on the tongue and coupler while you're loading/unloading it.

I was wondering exactly how to easily stiffen the ramp. Good idea with the stands.
I'm afraid my little mig welder will only burn 3/16" at it's HIGHEST setting, but maybe 2 back-2-back under each tire would work though. Originally I was thinking of adding 2 vertical lengths between the 2 there now, on each side and then some horizontal peices, like laddering between them all. But I think easier and less is better. Besides I know I'd run out of gas doing all that.
Hmmm, got the wheels aturnin' and the smoke arollin'. :scratchchin:
Thanks again, Grandad!

/ Leak at steering cylinder & other ??s #18  
A simple and crude reinforcement would probably be just a couple of 2x10's bolted or temporarily placed on the top of the ramp. They wouldn't be enough for the tractor by themselves, of course, but should do some good in combination with the ramp itself.

Need the welding practice. Hope to get to the metal yards tomorrow and pick up a 20' lenght of 3/16 X 1 1/2 angle. Cut that in 4 and still have leftover.
I'll have to wait to get the tractor home to see about placement.

Called the dealer this morning to check on my BX. He said the mechanic had it in Fri and ordered a cylinder rebuild kit. Not sure when it'll be in but hopefully won't take too long to install when they get it. I hope they rebuild the entire cylinder so I don't have to worry about the right side later but he wasn't sure what the kit included. I also heard that alot of BX and B model's front axles come from the factory low on oil so I asked them to check and top off if needed and if this was covered by warranty. It's covered and they will.
2 birds with 1 stone! :hotdog: