Leaking trans/hyd oil

/ Leaking trans/hyd oil #1  

roxynoodle

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1510d, 1950 Farmall H
I have been using my FEL this morning for about 3 hours and now there is transmission/hydraulic oil leaking from the top of the reservoir. My first instinct is to think that it was overfilled. My second thought is that the cap could be bad? Any ideas? I think this is the most I've used my loader nonstop, which could be why I haven't seen it leak before if it was overfilled. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

/ Leaking trans/hyd oil #2  
roxynoodle said:
I have been using my FEL this morning for about 3 hours and now there is transmission/hydraulic oil leaking from the top of the reservoir. My first instinct is to think that it was overfilled. My second thought is that the cap could be bad? Any ideas? I think this is the most I've used my loader nonstop, which could be why I haven't seen it leak before if it was overfilled. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Have you checked the level Roxy?? Might also be a failed "o" ring on the filler plug!

/ Leaking trans/hyd oil
My level is reading a little low now, but that isn't surprising since I lost fluid today. The leak is coming out from under the reservoir cap. The cap is plastic and does not have an O-ring. Should it? If so, that is my problem.

/ Leaking trans/hyd oil #4  
roxynoodle said:
My level is reading a little low now, but that isn't surprising since I lost fluid today. The leak is coming out from under the reservoir cap. The cap is plastic and does not have an O-ring. Should it? If so, that is my problem.

Not knowing what or where your filler is I'm not sure.
Mine is a combined dipstick and screw in plastic filler cap. There is an "O" ring on it.
I would imagine yours would be similar and if the oils starts frothing and gets hot, without the "O" ring, it would seep out.

/ Leaking trans/hyd oil #5  
Check/clean the vent, ( upside-down "J" shaped tube on top of your 3ph module, under the seat). It just unscrews.

/ Leaking trans/hyd oil
Thanks, Norm, I will check that.

The dipstick is seperate from the reservoir cap. The reservoir cap is behind the seat and the dipstick is on the left side under the seat. The dipstick has an o-ring on it. The tractor is a 1510D. Does anyone know if the reservoir cap should have some kind of gasket on it?

/ Leaking trans/hyd oil #7  
On every cap I have seen on a Yanmar that used a gasket ther is a grouve cut into it to recieve the O ring. Do you have Jd303 equiv. fluid in the trans sounds like foaming fluid. Either wrong type of fluid or maybe air leak on the suction side of the pump.

/ Leaking trans/hyd oil
Ok, we spent 3 hours on this trying to figure out what is going on. The fluid comes out the little hole at the top of the reservoir cap only when the loader is being used. We took apart the black thing on the left side that seemed to be a vent and it was not clogged. The cap seems to have a groove for an o-ring but there is no o-ring. The fluid is actually slightly overfull, but just a tad. Our thoughts now are 1. I need a new cap or maybe just an o-ring. 2. could the transmission filter be clogged?

It seems like the fluid is not going down into the reservoir fast enough? It blows out of the cap pretty fast.

How would we check for an air leak?

It does have the right kind of fluid in it.

/ Leaking trans/hyd oil
When I did a search about this problem, one person said he had this problem because a 1/4" U-shaped thing was clogged. I do not see anything that looks like that. I also don't see the upside-down J-shaped valve Norm mentioned. Here is a picture of the back of my tractor.
trailer tractor 004_edited.jpg

There is also some kind of screen that looks from the paint that it has never been cleaned or replaced.
trailer tractor 003_edited.jpg

Could this dirty screen be my problem?

/ Leaking trans/hyd oil #10  
Rox, I think you are on the right track with the filter screen being clogged.
When you pop the side cover off be EXTREMELY careful not to break the tabs on it. It is made from aluminum, and they break just by looking at them.
Dont ask how I know.:D

clean your filter & replace the fluid & hopefully thats a cure.

We have 3 1510s here for parts if you need anything

Ernie