Leaking transmission oil plug on bell housing

/ Leaking transmission oil plug on bell housing #1  

nhman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
I have a kubota b2910. The transmission oil plug bolt on the bell housing has a slow leak. This original plug and bolt was stripped out and a new larger bolt has been tapped in. I have tried several different washers to stop the leak, i.e., a teflon washer, a washer with the rubber lip inside the washer, a copper washer backing a teflon washer etc. Twice now, I have stopped the leak for about a week, but then it starts again.

I believe the threads on the bell housing may be worn. One option is of course replace the bell housing, but that's and expensive option.

I consider using teflon tape on the washer, but I wonder if that would be an issue if pieces of that tape came off into the transmission.

Are there any options? I was wondering if there was a coating I could put on the bolt threads to provide a tighter seal?

thanks for any advice.

nhman

/ Leaking transmission oil plug on bell housing #2  
Are there any Thread repair/insert type kits available that would work in your situation.

Perhaps a gob of silicone seal over the whole thing would work. Wouldn't look nice and have to be replaced each time the plug was removed. You could also try high temp silicone and make your own gasket.

Not much in the way of a proper solution but hope it helps.

Egon

/ Leaking transmission oil plug on bell housing #3  
Use plain ole plumber's thread compound, (on the shelf right next to the teflon tape).

/ Leaking transmission oil plug on bell housing #4  
If vibrations are loosening the plug just enough to start the lead, teflon tape could help. It certainly doesn't cost much to try.

/ Leaking transmission oil plug on bell housing
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try teflon tape and something called hydralic thread sealant. I'll let everyone know how it works.

nhman

/ Leaking transmission oil plug on bell housing #6  
Make sure you don't get any teflon tape into the hydraulic system. It can plug small ports up.

Egon

/ Leaking transmission oil plug on bell housing #7  
the rubber washer should have worked check to see what the material(rubber) was made of it might not have been made to take the fluid. Find an "o"ring that will and try again.

Ray