Leaking/Weeping From Hydraulic Pump to Front Cover

/ Leaking/Weeping From Hydraulic Pump to Front Cover #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
All, I noticed I my TC45DA is leaking/weeping hydraulic fluid.

It looks like it’s leaking where the hydraulic pump bolts to the front cover of the engine and it’s not engine oil.

Is there a chance that the hydraulic pump is just loos and that tightening the bolts will slow or stop the flow?

I will post a picture tomorrow.

/ Leaking/Weeping From Hydraulic Pump to Front Cover #2  
Great (and free) place to start. I’d be breaking out the sockets and tightening.

/ Leaking/Weeping From Hydraulic Pump to Front Cover #3  
I would be careful tightening those bolts. To tight may bind up the pump.

/ Leaking/Weeping From Hydraulic Pump to Front Cover #4  
Sounds like gasket failure….

/ Leaking/Weeping From Hydraulic Pump to Front Cover #5  
I don't mean to offend, but I think you should take another look at the pump. Maybe clean it off a little better and look again in better lighting.

I don't see any way hydraulic oil can leak from between the pump mounting flange and the timing cover. There is no hydraulic oil at that point. If there were it would be in the motor before you would see it on the outside. If you see hydraulic fluid it's more likely coming from the pump body seals.

/ Leaking/Weeping From Hydraulic Pump to Front Cover
Could be I just noticed it as I was walking by saturday.

Last edited:
Here’s a picture of the leak.

Attachments

• IMG_4173.jpeg
    IMG_4173.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 58
   / Leaking/Weeping From Hydraulic Pump to Front Cover #8  
If the pump shaft seal that is a "double lip seal with spring" is leaking then no tightening will help out. I would worry about jumping out and start tightening things. Pump case tightening has very little to do with the seal. If it were my rig, I would then clean the area to the best of my ability. I would turn the tractor on and push the pump a bit by manipulating either 3 point or loader bucket just a bit passed max to cause the pressure relief to pop. I would only do it for a few lil seconds.Put a card board under and keep checking. one thing to remember pump shaft seal leakage will go to the timing gear cover and you may not be able to see that clearly. I would just not hurry, losing a bit of hyd fluid may be manageable. Make sure to check hyd fluid reservoir level by checking the dipstick.

Last edited:
Does the pump just un-bolt and pull out/off so I can access/R&R the seal?

That’s how the R&R of the hydraulic pump on my IH 424 worked.

/ Leaking/Weeping From Hydraulic Pump to Front Cover #10