Leaking/Weeping From Hydraulic Pump to Front Cover

/ Leaking/Weeping From Hydraulic Pump to Front Cover
What you pictured is not a shaft seal leak, and that's not your hydraulic pump. It's the steering pump. Whatever you do with the hydraulics (other than steering) won't influence that leak at all.

When I looked at the parts page linked to above I realized that it is the power steering pump.

/ Leaking/Weeping From Hydraulic Pump to Front Cover #12  
Do you also see the leak is the body seal, nothing to do with the shaft seal? It's really doing you no harm (yet). Just keep and eye on the steering oil level until you have time to deal with it.

Well it is just the power steering low pressure / return hose.

The hose part number is 86400360.

It’s HYDRAULIC HOSE (SAE J30R7) with 15.88 mm ID x 70.00 mm.

I think it’s going to be a local purchase item as it’s $26.78 plus shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_4391.jpeg
    IMG_4391.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
   / Leaking/Weeping From Hydraulic Pump to Front Cover #14  
I'd look above for a leak dripping down (follow the dirt). Whatever it is, it doesn't look like a huge issue. Might be just a loose fitting above, or spilled oil (not familiar with that machine).Degrease that area, then monitor it. After cleaning and using it a couple of hours, find something to put on it (sawdust, flour, corn starch, etc), let it sit for a bit, then lightly blow off the extra fluff. You'll find a leak if there is one.

I'd look above for a leak dripping down (follow the dirt). Whatever it is, it doesn't look like a huge issue. Might be just a loose fitting above, or spilled oil (not familiar with that machine).Degrease that area, then monitor it. After cleaning and using it a couple of hours, find something to put on it (sawdust, flour, corn starch, etc), let it sit for a bit, then lightly blow off the extra fluff. You'll find a leak if there is one.
I have already degreased it and is clear that the short piece of hose in this case is the leak.

/ Leaking/Weeping From Hydraulic Pump to Front Cover #16  
Now, about that Scout 80 -- which diesel?

It’s a 1980 Scout II with the Nissan SD33TD which is what it came with, but now it has an air force tug SD33 now.

Well I swapped the hose out with some 5/8” power steering return hose from Napa and no more leaking well just sitting here not running.

It’s radiator has been at a shop for three weeks and had nothing done accept putting it a cleaning tank. :mad:

I went and got it yesterday and took it to another place and he said to it will be ready in a week.

Attachments

• IMG_4439.jpeg
    IMG_4439.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4441.jpeg
    IMG_4441.jpeg
    945 KB · Views: 17
I have run my TC45DA with the new hose several times now with no leakage.

One other thing I did is I replace the spring clamp with a worm drive hose clamp on the hose coming down out of the power steering reservoir and that stop another drip on to a fuel injector line.