Leaks, leaks and more leaks.

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #41  
See if you can get that video to your dealer. That's not right.

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #42  
See if you can get that video to your dealer. That's not right.

I agree. Getting the dealer aware before considering taking it there is needed.

1. While your tractor isn't the way it is suposed to be . . it also doesn't appear to be a failure in the lines . . It appears to be a failure in a couple of connections. That "likely" makes it an easy fix (again . . I said . . . "likely").

2. Optimism. Don't let your history with car dealers taint the situation or attitude. If you contact the dealer today . . remember its Christmas for him too and this is the FIRST he is hearing about it. Howver long you've had the problem . . he's hearing about it today. They will likely be shorthanded . . hectic . . Big holiday and weekend and family committments too.

3. Before you call . . Any idea how much it has leaked since you 1st discovered it? Dealer will want to know "how many days, how much leaking, did anything happen to start the leaking" ? Knowing answers to those 3 things plus the video will tell the dealer likely time and items needed to repair and how it should or could be handled.

4. Its likely they are making deliveries regularly and aybe some might be at least in your direction. So they "might" be able to schedule a stop at your location during those deliveries to either fix it at your place or take it with them. But their schedule maybe based on a 10 day cycle too. Or maybe someone might be going in your general direction for other reasons ( family gathering or major repair or supply pickup etc.)

5. In another career area I've seen this all too often in my business. A call comes in . . a problem has existed for two or three weeks but they didn't call till just today and they want it fixed today or tommorrow or really soon. Those are the calls that drive a dealer crazy because they have made committments to others that called many days ago when vacations haven't started.

6. You may still need to haul it to them . . but using steps 1 thru 5 "may" eliminate that need.

Assuming this is a very small leak . . its probably a fast and minor repair and then adding a little hydraulic fluid. So the issues are about when someone can be available to work on it with everything else going on . . and where it can be worked on.

My action would have been to notice the problem . . plug and unplug a couple times to see if that fixed it . . then observe for 24 hours. If still leaking and knowing holidays and end of year are coming up - I'd call dealer to get their input right away and see what kind of plan can be setup to fix it. The dealer is your friend until proven different.

Last edited:
   / Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #43  
Looks like it is where the male QC threads on to the hose end is what is leaking.

Have you tried to put a wrench on the QC and hose end and see if it is pretty tight already?

If already pretty tight, take it apart there, (make sure loader is on the ground and pressure is relieved). Wipe the oil off the threads and remove whatever they used to seal it. Apply Loctite 545.

545 is what I prefer also.

PTFE paste also works, but 545 is better.

No tape

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks.
For my other leaks i have called the dealer and they gave some good helpful suggestions and i fixed those leaks myself. i bought a galloon of hydraulic fluid and used about have of it formthe first leaks. As far as the new leaks I will contact and them for sure. Since its the holiday right around the corner I was gonna wait till they passed.

No im not gonna let my old delaers ruin what future i can have with new ones. But i am accustom to the language they use and excuses they use.

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #45  
For my other leaks i have called the dealer and they gave some good helpful suggestions and i fixed those leaks myself. i bought a galloon of hydraulic fluid and used about have of it formthe first leaks. As far as the new leaks I will contact and them for sure. Since its the holiday right around the corner I was gonna wait till they passed.

No im not gonna let my old delaers ruin what future i can have with new ones. But i am accustom to the language they use and excuses they use.

Smart thinking Niko.

I was a little surprised when you just indicated you had "other" leaks. Were those in the same area or somewhere else? Did they leak much or just a drip. A half gallon of fluid seems like a faur amount to refill. (Just wondering if current quick connect leaks started after the refill or before).

Hope your holidays with the new house go well. Didn't you have a new baby recently? If so . . you're having more than tractor "leaks" lol.

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #46  
I would follow LD1's instructions and attempt the quick fix myself. If unsuccessful, then time for the dealer. Just a word of caution, when checking for leaks in the future. It is not good practice to use your fingers when checking for leaks. If the leaks are caused by a pinhole, at times the fluid can come out under high pressure and inject under your skin into your meat. This can be a very serious injury. It is best to keep your fingers/hands away from potential hydraulic leak sources. If you would like to see some rather gruesome hydraulic leak injury photos then click on the below link. If you would rather not... well, don't click.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hyd...-mMKHRgsBhsQ_AUICSgD&biw=1483&bih=635&dpr=0.9

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #47  
I would follow LD1's instructions and attempt the quick fix myself. If unsuccessful, then time for the dealer. Just a word of caution, when checking for leaks in the future. It is not good practice to use your fingers when checking for leaks. If the leaks are caused by a pinhole, at times the fluid can come out under high pressure and inject under your skin into your meat. This can be a very serious injury. It is best to keep your fingers/hands away from potential hydraulic leak sources. If you would like to see some rather gruesome hydraulic leak injury photos then click on the below link. If you would rather not... well, don't click.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hydraulic+leak+injury&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi12ebn5u_JAhVC-mMKHRgsBhsQ_AUICSgD&biw=1483&bih=635&dpr=0.9

That's crazy, I had never even heard of that before! Scary...

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #48  
That's crazy, I had never even heard of that before! Scary...

Yeah, I thought I would post in the goal of helping others. In his case, with engine idling, and not operating the hydraulics with an open system, the pressure is hopefully not very great in the system. But as soon as you operate a valve and the fluid flow "looks" into a cylinder then the pressure in the system will rise depending on load all the way up to the relief pressure which even on his smaller tractor is probably over 2000 lbs. So a leak could penetrate you and inject the fluid into your body.. NOT a good thing. A very bad thing requiring surgical removal as soon as possible. In any case it is never good practice to check for leaks with you fingers or any other part of your body you would like to keep. A piece of cardboard or paper will do nicely when looking for leaks.

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #49  
Good reminder James, no one wants a high pressure fluid injection into their body parts, for sure.:thumbsup:

And I would definitely take apart the leaking fittings, air dry them with compressed air until there is no hyd fluid present on them, (you can use Brakleen to effect this too), then seal with the 545. Let the fitting sit with the sealer on them, then the next day try it out and see if that has solved the leaks.
You won't need new lines unless some are too short to replace the leaking fittings with new ones, but you're not there yet. Try sealing properly first, and if you are finding T-tape present then I'd reseal all the hydraulic fittings with 545. Good luck.
Post back results.

/ Leaks, leaks and more leaks. #50  

https://www.google.com/search?q=hyd...-mMKHRgsBhsQ_AUICSgD&biw=1483&bih=635&dpr=0.9

Dovetailing on what K0ua shared, if you must get into a running hydraulic system to find a leak, use heavy cardboard, and wear protective clothing, gloves and et cetra.

Here is a bad brand new hose leaking at the crimped end on my tractor. Hydraulic fluid shot out under pressure about 20' away.