Leaky hydraulic fitting

/ Leaky hydraulic fitting #1  

Alan7s

Silver Member
Tractor
Terramite T5C
Several fittings on my T5C are always wet with fluid; not big leaks . . . just weepy. The hoses and fittings were replaced, and I have put as much
wrench on them as I thought they would stand. Am I supposed to be using teflon tape or some special compound on these things? Is dressing the
contact surfaces with fine emory helpful or no?

/ Leaky hydraulic fitting #3  
Just make sure the threads are brake solvent clean when you use Loctite. Otherwise, you might as well be squirting it on the ground.

/ Leaky hydraulic fitting #4  
Just started using this bought with gift card at tsc works like it should. Others on here and experienced old-timers I've associated with have warned of using Teflon or any other type of tape on hydraulic fittings. Unless you want to replace a pricey pump.

Attachments

• KIMG1978.JPG
    KIMG1978.JPG
    769.9 KB · Views: 56
   / Leaky hydraulic fitting #5  
Alan
What type of fitting or thread are the ones that are leaking? Different fittings have different answers

NPT or tapered pipe thread requires some form of sealant.

NPT swivel is like inverted flare and male part of fitting must have correct taper to seal

JIC 37 degree flare can be overtightened and ruin the fittings especially smaller sizes

SAE O-ring boss seal via O-ring

BSPP seal via crush washer or rubber seal

That is just example of some of the different style fittings used today.

/ Leaky hydraulic fitting
Many thanks for those replies. What I learned . . . tapes; teflon or otherwise are out on hydraulics. Fortunately
haven't used that to date. Also ordered a 50 ml. of Loctite 545 and will use that.

The fittings that are leaking are where the hydraulic hose from the control connects to the hydraulic cylinder. I don't
yet know the technical name for these but the hose is 9/16" and this connects to a swivel that is 11/16" This is
usually where the problem is.

Couple questions; above post mentions the threads. Am I also applying the Loctite to the threads as well as the
2 surfaces that (I thought) make the seal?

Also; is the "brake solvent" referred to the same as brake fluid or is this a solvent like acetone or alcohol?

Thanks again for the help.

/ Leaky hydraulic fitting
Getting an education here . . . found the brake cleaner on ebay and ordered it; sorry for the
dumb question . . . . clearly not the same as brake fluid.