Leaning toward Mahindra

/ Leaning toward Mahindra #1  

chinton

Tractor
Kubota L3901DT
Until recently I've been leaning toward Kubota and was looking at other manufacturers more as due diligence than anything. I'd originally been looking at B series and the dealer redirected me to the L series. A thread I'd posted on the Kubota forum lead me to re-evaluate what I'd been looking at. I've also been to see the NH and Kioti machines. So many choices!

I had been comparing the 1533 to the 2538 but now I'm looking hard at the 1538 Shuttle. The big differentiator for me was that the BH on the 1538 uses the same seat, just turned around vs. the 2538 with two seats. My sales guy was out delivering a tractor so I didn't get the price on the 1538 yet, so that could dampen my enthusiasm.

I'm looking at the 1538 Shuttle with the FEL, BH, 7' landscape Rake, pallet forks, probably a splitter and separately a WoodMaxx Chipper, Ratchet Rake and/or Piranha.

Do they even sell the service manual for these machines? I've not had much luck finding anything.

Also, on the trailer for these things, is the utility trailer style generally preferred over the car-hauler style? The two dealers that also sell trailers both sell the utility trailer style and that seems to be less useful to me.

/ Leaning toward Mahindra #2  
For years i was interested in the BX series for my needs. after years when i finally tried to make it happen - the dealer and the bx was not good and i had found around the time mahindra and the specs etc convinced me immediately to go with mahindra. I am most happy that I did. Love my max 25 HST. welcome!

/ Leaning toward Mahindra #3  
I really enjoy the Mahindra Max 24 we have. Excellent build quality on my Max, stout little tractor. As for the service manuals, any dealer can get them. Sorry I don't have a trailer so no advice on that but others will chime in. Oh, and Welcome

/ Leaning toward Mahindra #4  
Until recently I've been leaning toward Kubota and was looking at other manufacturers more as due diligence than anything. I'd originally been looking at B series and the dealer redirected me to the L series. A thread I'd posted on the Kubota forum lead me to re-evaluate what I'd been looking at. I've also been to see the NH and Kioti machines. So many choices!

I had been comparing the 1533 to the 2538 but now I'm looking hard at the 1538 Shuttle. The big differentiator for me was that the BH on the 1538 uses the same seat, just turned around vs. the 2538 with two seats. My sales guy was out delivering a tractor so I didn't get the price on the 1538 yet, so that could dampen my enthusiasm.

I'm looking at the 1538 Shuttle with the FEL, BH, 7' landscape Rake, pallet forks, probably a splitter and separately a WoodMaxx Chipper, Ratchet Rake and/or Piranha.

Do they even sell the service manual for these machines? I've not had much luck finding anything.

Also, on the trailer for these things, is the utility trailer style generally preferred over the car-hauler style? The two dealers that also sell trailers both sell the utility trailer style and that seems to be less useful to me.

I have a 1538 shuttle with about 50 hours on it. I also have the loader and backhoe. After having the spinner seat I'm inclined to think that maybe a separate seat for the backhoe wouldn't be such a bad thing as turning the seat around is an extra step and can be a hassle. It's a pretty clumsy mechanism where the seat has to be unlatched, then lifted to the backhoe position, then latched down and then unlatched and rotated. When you want to reposition the tractor a little reverse all of the above, then repeat before operating the backhoe again. It such a hassle that if it's something simple, I sometimes I reach around from the driving position to operate the backhoe. Of course you can only operate the hoe with one handle at a time that way. Then again if it had separate seats I would not be able to reach around and operate the hoe from the forward facing position because the controls would be too far to reach. There is no room to spin the seat with you on the tractor, you have to dismount and remount for each position.

The 1538 is a nice tractor but Mahindra user and service documentation absolutely sucks. The service manual isn't worth a plug nickle mustless whatever they charge for it. There is not one part number and absolutely no useful engine info in it while most disassembly and reassembly info is pretty much take it apart and reverse to put it back together with very poorly done drawings. It's a a very poor minimal effort work product. It's largely useless and a waste of paper so don't waste your money buying one.

/ Leaning toward Mahindra
Thanks for the feedback everybody!

I'll try spinning the seat and see how it feels to me.

/ Leaning toward Mahindra #6  
Thanks for the feedback everybody!

I'll try spinning the seat and see how it feels to me.

It's actually easier to get off the tractor to spin the seat. Unlatch the seat and lift it first then get it latched while lifted. Then unlatch and spin the seat. When you lift you have to lift and shove the seat rearward. It's a little awkward at first.
Reverse the procedure to get it back to the drive position. That is, spin the seat around first, then unlatch and lower the seat to the driving position. Again, it's easier to do from the ground. You don't have to latch the seat down as it will latch itself when you sit down in it.

/ Leaning toward Mahindra #7  
I am very happy with my Mahindra 2538. No backhoe on mine, but I use a six footer cutter and box blade along with a five foot grapple. It's done everything I've needed it too. Also looked at Kubota, Kioti, and Bransons of similar capacity/price. The non DPF engine in the Mahindra was a big driver, and the overall value was very impressive. Check out these Mahindra specific threads from the last six months for some more 2538 reviews and info.

Good luck!

/ Leaning toward Mahindra
I've got a question regarding the advertised PTO HP of the 1538HST and 2538. The 1538HST advertises an engine HP of 38.7 and PTO HP of 27.7 while the 2538 advertises an engine HP of 37.4 and PTO HP of 31HP.

Is the 2538 drive train just that more efficient or did they use different measurement regimes? nitpicking I know, but inquiring minds want to know.

/ Leaning toward Mahindra #9  

After trying out a single seat on the Kubota hoe a few times and the double seat on a Woods hoe I was sold. The Woods is so much faster back and forth. Try it a few times before you buy, it was pretty easy to find one of each type at different dealers.

I ended up springing for a tilt deck trailer and it is awesome! loading and unloading is quick and easy. There have only been a couple times I wished I had a deck over to make getting pallets off easier, but loading the tractor with a deck height that high would be much more difficult.

Good luck with the new tractor decision, my good friend has a 1533 and loves it.

/ Leaning toward Mahindra #10  
All this leaning back and forth, just be careful you don't fall over.

In all seriousness, it's hard to go wrong with any of them. They all make great machines, you just have to find the one that fits you best ergonomically