Learning with Brandon

/ Learning with Brandon
clean up

We'll continue this afternoon with him learning how to cut and fit and then weld up the framework.

Attachments

• 402708-Image013.jpg
    402708-Image013.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 282
   / Learning with Brandon #12  
I noticed that he learned that it was best to change shoes. I still have a mark on the side of my foot from when I was sixteen and a piece of molten metal fell into my shoe and burned a hole into the side of my foot. Learned the hard way that loafers were not work boots! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Starting him a little late in life aren't you? I figured that you would have been teaching him how to weld as soon as he was old enough to strike a arc and you could find a helmet small enough. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Learning with Brandon #13  
Better shoes and long pants too!

/ Learning with Brandon
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Starting him a little late in life aren't you? I figured that you would have been teaching him how to weld as soon as he was old enough to strike a arc and you could find a helmet small enough.)</font>

I think you're thinking he's mine. That would be a great step into time and space. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brandon belongs to a couple I worked around. I was a contract cable splicer at the time and they both worked in Central Office Equipment Installation for GTE--Verizon.

When we first started I mentioned the shoes. One of my rules about educating help is I mention the right--easy way and then allow them to do it their way, for a bit. A bit usually means until their tongue's hanging out or as in this case, they're doing a dance. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yesterday evening we welded the framework up. Brandon and a friend who'd attended welding classes with him at their high school found out some things aren't as easy as they look.

Today we'll stretch the non climb and hang a gate plus the details. The job will be done.

I'll post pictures of the weld up and finish out this evening.

As a post script to the above mention about mentioning please note he had on safety glasses even though he was in shorts and slippers. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Learning with Brandon
It's funny Junkman mentioning my kids following in my footsteps.

My step son is a heckuva welder and he can fabricate. He just prefers to do home remodeling. What I do is a little too hard, dirty, and sweaty.

My own son decided a long time ago that working with me was the last thing he wanted to do in life. Maybe I was too hard on him, or maybe something else. But he works in a call center and is as happy as a bug in a rug doing so.

I have another son, well he adopted me, treats me like I'm his dad. He's taken to heart most of my work ethics and does a lot of things I do the way I do them.

When my daughters got married I didn't lose daughters, I gained sons. We work well together on projects.

The only person who's successfully worked with me day in and day out is my own father. And my mother more than once opined his perspective about me being probably the hardest person to work with he's ever known.

Guys like Brandon who are fascinated with fabricating need to be exposed to lots of influences. Then they can take what they need from each and come up with something the rest of us can only dream about doing.

And when I get old maybe I can put on classes for kids and their fathers on doing things the way I believe they should be done.

On this project we're going to use the gate that was originally installed in the fence. They fought it from day one. We're going to take the same gate, install it my way, and I'll bet you a fly swatter against that bug on should forehead that it'll work like grass going through a goose.

/ Learning with Brandon #17  
We are going to need a picture of the "new" gate install.

I worked for my dad, in his business from my teens until he sold out in my early twenties. I was glad to get out and make my way independently, but also glad I had a chance to work with him. I learned more from him with his simple perceptive comments and observing his work ethic than I could understand at the time. He was also tough to work for, but in a loving dad way.

/ Learning with Brandon
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I learned more from him with his simple perceptive comments and observing his work ethic than I could understand at the time. )</font>

One of the things I like to point out about my own experience with my own father is how casual statements and an attitude by a father can influence a son.

For many years I found myself in conflict with those who worked with me. It seemed that I worked at a different pace and to different standards.

Then in my late forties I understood that my work ethic was me seeking my father's approval. And that I'd had it since I was in my twenties.

Those times over supper as I was growing up and him talking about how this guy did such good work. Or how this fella could do more than anyone else while not losing quality etc. Even though we didn't realize it at the time he was marking me. The respect he had in his voice for them was something that a son would want more than anything else in the whole world.

It's such a simple rule of life. I just wish someone had clued me in to it earlier. I guess the ears don't always close when the mouth opens. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Supper power.

/ Learning with Brandon
We wanted the new corner to not look like a new corner. So we tidied it up.

Attachments

• 403470-Image001.jpg
    403470-Image001.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 235
   / Learning with Brandon
Here's Brandon doing his hot glue gun thing.

Attachments

• 403472-Image002.jpg
    403472-Image002.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 240