Lebanon must be broke

/ Lebanon must be broke
We not any better
I don't think there's much of a comparison. An underground coal vein fire in rural PA in a dead town that was dead before it started vs the largest city and major port of a whole nation and the only major grain hub in that nation?

That's not apples and oranges, that's even wackier than that.

/ Lebanon must be broke #4  
to not have done somethign about this
My guess is that the problem is massive incompetence. For that much Ammonium Nitrate to be stored in one place for any length of time is absurd, especially if you didn't manufacture it and have no clue what, if any, contaminants it has in it. Pure Ammonium Nitrate is generally safe to handle and store, if it's not contaminated or confined. The original explosion should not have happened. 3000 tons? That's 30 railroad cars.

/ Lebanon must be broke
My guess is that the problem is massive incompetence. For that much Ammonium Nitrate to be stored in one place for any length of time is absurd, especially if you didn't manufacture it and have no clue what, if any, contaminants it has in it. Pure Ammonium Nitrate is generally safe to handle and store, if it's not contaminated or confined. The original explosion should not have happened. 3000 tons? That's 30 railroad cars.
I remember looking into the cause of the explosion at the time. I was suspicious that some terror group was storing their explosives there maybe even using the Nitrate for Anfo and storing that there.
I came away with no good answers.
They confiscated this material from a tanker off their coast. The tanker has 2700 tones of the stuff and had been abandoned.
Seems it was declared unseaworthy and that much ammonium nitrate was simply not worth claiming. And not valuable enough for Lebanon to have sold it once they took it off the boat?

And they stored it in their only really big city at their only big port, for SIX YEARS.
How many kinds of inept stupidity is that?
Farms around the world would have purchased that stuff.

The ammonium nitrate belonged to this guy https://siberiantimes.com/other/oth...itrate-cargo-detonated-in-the-port-of-beirut/

/ Lebanon must be broke #6  

Lebanon must be broke​

Twenty plus years of civil war, churning governments and military conflict with neighboring countries will tank almost any country.