LED Lights

/ LED Lights #11  
Haven't had any experience with LEDs on a tractor but I would consider it if they weren't so expensive. But, I live in Florida. The OP looks to be in NY. Keep in mind that LEDs do not produce heat This is not a problem where I live since it does not snow. But if you have snow, I understand that it will collect on the LED lights and not melt like it does on standard lights, thus reducing the amount of light you need to work.

They do produce some heat just a whole lot less. I think some of the early CFLC and LED failures come from installing them in closed fixtures. This traps the heat. Yes there is still heat on CFLC's too.

/ LED Lights #13  
i've seen some nice bright newer LED lighting, both 12 volt and 120 volt, however the $$ is still way too over the top. ill wait till it gets alot cheaper.

/ LED Lights #14  
We are using led landing lites in aircraft now. I just installed a set in a friends airplane and He says it is a big improvement when landing at nite.

/ LED Lights #15  
Gary Fowler said:
I havent had a good experience with LED on my 110v house lighting. I just pulled 2 non working from a front porch light that probably hasnt burned 40 hours total in the 2 years it has been installed. The CFL arent any better with lifespans WAYYYY under what they state on he package. LED tail lights seem to be much better than regular bulbs and brighter but I dont find the flash lights to be that great at long distance lighting like you would want for tractor. I have not seen any front LED lighting on cars other than the running lights I will keep my normal lighting on my cab till they perfect the bulbs a bit more.

Your issue with the LED lights outside may be that they weren't rated for outside use. If they aren't they will not last long due to the humidity.

/ LED Lights #16  
. I have not seen any front LED lighting on cars other than the running lights I will keep my normal lighting on my cab till they perfect the bulbs a bit more.

My LED's have been on the ROPS for 2 1/2 years. The tractor has zero suspension so they take a jarring and work fine. I have been extremely pleased with the ones I have. The low current draw enables me to run more things.

Ken

/ LED Lights #17  
I just had another CFL quit working. It had some kind of short, would come on but not stay on and only if the bulb was not completely tight. Just finally tossed it. It was over the mirror in the master bath so it may see a couple hours per day in the 2 years since we moved in. Got to replace 2 Lights of America brand LED that were in an outside fixture on my front porch. So far none of the interior $50 each LED lights have had any problem and they burn more than any lights in the house. Maybe it is non use that gets them. The 2 of 3 on the front porch lights have 20 LEDs and must be a short internally as I am sure all 20 LED didnt go at once.

Many CFLs are position sensitive. Some must be used base down or their longevity will suffer. Some are not suited for damp areas like baths or laundry rooms or outdoors even if installed in an enclosed fixture.

I also date my CFL when I install them because I wanted to see how long they lasted. I have two outside in coach lamps on the garage and they burn every night all night long controlled by a photo eye. I think it has been over 7 years since I put them in there and I'm basing that on I know I last changed them when I bought my F-150 new in May of 05.

Need to read carefully the find print on those LED and CFL packages. I wanted to convert more of our home lighting over to LED or CFL but after reading the limitations on some bulbs I opted to only change those lamps which we use the most and let the others go. In the bath over the lav and for use at the mirror the correct color light is important.

/ LED Lights #18  
I ended up not going with LED lights on my ROPS. The halogens were 1/3 the price and work fine. If I didn't have the power needed to run them I would have thought harder but that wasn't the case. If a taillight died I might think about replacing one with an LED but again the standard bulbs last a long time and it's not like you're going to save diesel.

As for the house, I had several LED bulbs and they all died. The LEDs are fine, it's the chip that steps the voltage down and converts it into DC that goes. It's too bad because I had two low wattage ones that I could leave on in the mornings for next to nothing. I also have not had the luck others have had with CFL bulbs. I actually had one burst flames out of the base. After that I removed them all, sorry but I'd rather pay a few cents more and not have to worry about my house burning down.

/ LED Lights #20  
After not properly closing one of the car doors a couple of times and subsequently flattening, and having to replace the battery, I changed all the interior (dome light and door puddle lights) bulbs in the car to LED.

Firing up the tractor, pulling the car out backwards, trying to steer 2 vehicles on your own, and jumpstarting, in the dark, gets old very quickly. :mad: