LED polarity important?

/ LED polarity important? #11  
If you are perhaps refering to the Delco 10SI, 12SI, or CS-130, and the other similar variants, then you are close.. but no cigar.

No soup for you either. ;) Since when does Kobota use Delco? In any case, Wolf is right in that some mfgs. DO wire the charge lamp in series on the ignition lead. Some will have a resistor parallell to the lamp too. In those cases, the resistance of the lamp and/or resistor is required by the alternator. It won't charge without it. When using a LED, you need to add a resistor in series with the LED and use the alternator side of the circuit (I) as negitive for the LED.

/ LED polarity important? #12  
LED's definitely must be wired with the correct polarity. LED modules may have diodes or rectifiers in them to allow connections without regard to polarity.

Also, the resistor used with LED's that some mentioned limits current, not voltage.

LED center Why do I need a resistor with an LED?

And because they limit current.. they have a voltage drop...

soundugy

/ LED polarity important? #13  
No soup for you either. ;) Since when does Kobota use Delco? In any case, Wolf is right in that some mfgs. DO wire the charge lamp in series on the ignition lead. Some will have a resistor parallell to the lamp too. In those cases, the resistance of the lamp and/or resistor is required by the alternator. It won't charge without it. When using a LED, you need to add a resistor in series with the LED and use the alternator side of the circuit (I) as negitive for the LED.

I've seen dozens of kubotas with delco alternators that people have put on them. I've seen hundreds or thousands of other tractors with delco alternators. some do some don't.. unless we get some specifics here it will take forever to detail out what any individual manufacture uses as a wire ing setup for their alternators.

And i think i was quite clear about what some alts do or don't want. for instance.. the cs130 demands 15-45 ohms... provide it more or less and you got problems..

In a situation with a lamp paralleling a resistor, the lamp is usually there as a visual indicator to show current flow.. IE.. when current is flowing thru the circuit.. the lamp glows.. when no current flows ( same potential on either side ) then the lamp is out. In most cases, the potential become sthe same on either side of the indicator lamp circuit once tha alternator regulator turns on and starts making the alt produce power... thus the lamp goes out.. classic idiot lamp scheme...

soundguy