Left over hay on the ground - what to do with it?

/ Left over hay on the ground - what to do with it? #11  
Its good fertilizer, let it rot, spread it out.

/ Left over hay on the ground - what to do with it?
slowzuki said:
Its good fertilizer, let it rot, spread it out.

I need to figure out a good way to spread it. Landscape rake pulls it up nicely. I think I will try the batwing again. I like that thing. :)

D.

/ Left over hay on the ground - what to do with it? #13  
I started using hayrings which has almost eliminated any hay left on the ground. The cows can't pis, ****, lay or step in the hay and they will eat a good bale of hay to the ground. If I have a poorer quality bale, there might only be up to 6 inches of hay left on the ground and I just shred it to spread it around. I don't know if they have special hayrings for longhorns, but I started using them with the drought a couple years ago and they paid for themselve quickly.

mlauk said:
I started using hayrings which has almost eliminated any hay left on the ground. The cows can't pis, ****, lay or step in the hay and they will eat a good bale of hay to the ground. If I have a poorer quality bale, there might only be up to 6 inches of hay left on the ground and I just shred it to spread it around. I don't know if they have special hayrings for longhorns, but I started using them with the drought a couple years ago and they paid for themselve quickly.

I do use hay rings. it helps cut it down, but then with their horns they have a hard time getting to the hay. I usually put 2 bales out per pasture. One with a ring and the other without. Then when I put new bales out I move the ring to a new bale. It helps cut down some waste.

There is no perfect solution - sounds like burning or shredding will do it.

D.

/ Left over hay on the ground - what to do with it? #15  
Have you tried the hay rings made for horses? They just have loops coming up from the bottom instead of rings around the feeder so the horses don't wear out their manes. Might be just the thing for Longhorns.

JESSE1 said:
Have you tried the hay rings made for horses? They just have loops coming up from the bottom instead of rings around the feeder so the horses don't wear out their manes. Might be just the thing for Longhorns.

They don't work for longhorns - too easy for them to get their horns stuck in them. I know some people that have had to cut them out of them before. I actually bought one and then took it back after I heard that story. Those long horns do present a problem.

D.

/ Left over hay on the ground - what to do with it? #17  
You can't use a spike tooth harrow to drag and cut it which ultimately spreads it out and it decomps into the soil. This is what I do with the horse manure and left over hay the horses don't eat. It "sounds" like we have a similar issue with the left over being a breeding ground for all the nasty unwanted stuff. I run the harrow over the pastures a couple times a season to do just as said. It also helps the grass for obvious reasons. On the other hand maybe I'm on the wrong track here . . .

harrow.JPG

mark.r said:
You can't use a spike tooth harrow to drag and cut it which ultimately spreads it out and it decomps into the soil. This is what I do with the horse manure and left over hay the horses don't eat. It "sounds" like we have a similar issue with the left over being a breeding ground for all the nasty unwanted stuff. I run the harrow over the pastures a couple times a season to do just as said. It also helps the grass for obvious reasons. On the other hand maybe I'm on the wrong track here . . .

harrow.JPG

That looks like a good setup for it. Maybe I need one of those... :)

D.