Lefty Shooting?

/ Lefty Shooting? #21  
I think I am slightly right eye dominant, but if I stare at the finger too hard, I end up with two fingers!!! I don't think I trust it enough to not close an eye which just seems natural to do.
Here's another easy test that uses both hands.

/ Lefty Shooting? #22  
When my dad was a kid, the teacher switched his left hand for writing with it! When he got home, he told his dad, and grandpa went to the school and knocked the crap out of the teacher! I bet that was the last time that teacher EVER switched a kid's hand! lol

When I was a kid about 7 or 8, the teacher would jerk the pencil out of my left hand and put it in my right hand! My penmanship wasn't great as a lefty, but it was terrible as a righty! Teacher said I just needed more practice.

One day I happened to mention "that" to my mother, and she told me to go tell my dad that, so I did. It was a Friday, and I was shocked to see my dad still home from work on Monday (he NEVER missed work) and he drove me to school (normally we walked) anyway, he told me to stay outside, and he went in. After a bit he came out, said goodby and off he went to work, I was treated "golden" after that!

That teacher NEVER messed with me after that! lol And I never found out what he told her either!

SR
Lefty here as well.

In kindergarten, the teacher used to smack my left hand with a ruler when I used it. Didn't do much good though. I still wrote lefty, albeit with a very sore hand! :confused:

Try that today!

/ Lefty Shooting? #23  
Lefty here as well.

In kindergarten, the teacher used to smack my left hand with a ruler when I used it. Didn't do much good though. I still wrote lefty, albeit with a very sore hand! :confused:

Try that today!
Sounds like you should have had MY grandpa!! LOL

SR

/ Lefty Shooting? #24  
I can shoot a rifle ambidextrous, many years ago I proved this to my self. When in I was in the Marine Corps you had to qualify once a year on the rifle range. Shot expert in boot camp right handed, next year right and expert as well, the last time I decided to shoot left handed and shot expert. The three classes are Marksmen, Sharpshooter and Expert.

Dave

/ Lefty Shooting? #25  
I can shoot a rifle ambidextrous, many years ago I proved this to my self. When in I was in the Marine Corps you had to qualify once a year on the rifle range. Shot expert in boot camp right handed, next year right and expert as well, the last time I decided to shoot left handed and shot expert. The three classes are Marksmen, Sharpshooter and Expert.

Dave
Shooting targets on a range is pretty easily doable with either eye. The problem arises when shooting off hand quickly with a non-dominate eye.

/ Lefty Shooting? #26  
I can't give much for pointers on a rifle since I haven't shot one since my body switched from right eye dominate to left eye dominate

I will say, that with a pistol, I never realized I switched from using my right eye to my left for several years.

I found out I was left eye dominate during a concealed carry class when the instructor ran us through an excersise to see which eye was dominate.

What got me, was even though I knew I was left eye dominate, I never realized I was sighting with my left eye since when I learned to shoot, I aimed using my right eye.

Fast forward 12 years and I finally realized I was using my left eye to aim when I was in an arcade with the grandkids playing a target shooting game. One of the grandkids pointed it out to me by the way I was standing and aiming

I'm still accurate though and whooped the snot out of the kids

/ Lefty Shooting? #27  
My daughter is left eye dominant and right handed. She struggles with shooting, especially her shotgun. Her and her husband do a lot of duck and goose hunting, but she doesn't hit many.

/ Lefty Shooting? #28  
My daughter is left eye dominant and right handed. She struggles with shooting, especially her shotgun. Her and her husband do a lot of duck and goose hunting, but she doesn't hit many.
It's hard for the eyes to trust the brain and vice versa.

I had to learn how to shoot southpaw when I smashed my hand in the military. They still made me qualify even though my right hand was still bandaged up.

Took an extra week with an instructor to help me learn to trust my left eye.

Now I can shoot either. Prefer right but I can transition to left without worries

/ Lefty Shooting?
Thanks for all of the comments. I took my nephew back to the shooting range today. We tried left handed. At first it seemed awkward, but apparently by the end of the day it was going well.

Lever action Marlin 22LR dating back to about 1954, I think, and a lever action Winchester 308 from the late 50s, I think.

Still some issues with the iron sights requiring a right eye patch since he can't wink. But, he could use the scope with or without the patch.

And I think the lever actions tended to work fine, although he did say the ejected shells often bounced off of his arm.

/ Lefty Shooting?
That brings up another issue. The 308 was professionally modified a lifetime ago. It was customized to fit a smaller young woman at the time... Late 1950's.

Some stock was cut off, as well as an equivalent amount of barrel to maintain balance.

So, at the moment nobody that small is shooting it.

I'm not quite sure how the modifications impact its usability. I can certainly shoot it.