Legal to Tow a Log Splitter?

/ Legal to Tow a Log Splitter? #11  
I know the law in vemont is that you can tow any single purpose unsprung trailer except on the interstate. without registraion or inspection

/ Legal to Tow a Log Splitter? #12  
Got me thinking about what I said about the WI law. I found this:

"(71) Trailer means a vehicle without motive power
designed for carrying property or passengers wholly on its own
structure and for being drawn by a motor vehicle, but does not
include a mobile home."

Since a log splitter isn't used for carrying anything, you could argue it isn't a trailer.

-rus-

Last edited:
   / Legal to Tow a Log Splitter? #13  
Another thing to check is the tires. Many are placarded "Not for Highway Use"

/ Legal to Tow a Log Splitter? #14  
I wouldn't worry about it and just tow it where you want. I tow mine all the time but never after dark and never on the interstate. If the police want to worry about towing a log splitter then they have too much time on thier hands.

Dan

/ Legal to Tow a Log Splitter? #16  
Good question. I see contractors pulling cement mixers and air compressors fairly often that do not have lights. And the rental yards send them out here that way, too. I'll have to call the local County Police and ask. ;)

I go to the Bengals Steelers game every year with a Indiana State Trooper. Last September we showed up to the game with our new hog roaster. 3 families went in on it. No lights or plate but it is in tip top shape being only 2 months old at that time equipped with a 2" ball and safety chains. He shook his head at us.

He said he lets it slide all the time but technically anything being towed must be registered, plated, have dot approved lights, ect. He specifically said he sees it all the time with log splitters, cement mixers, air compressors, generators, even small utility trailers. He said he only pulls over idiots and lets it go if he can still see the tow vehicles plate, brake lights, and the rig looks like its in good shape and they are obeying all the other driving laws.

He said the same thing that the exception is the 25mph rule with a SMV on secondary roads.

Chris

/ Legal to Tow a Log Splitter? #17  
Another thing to check is the tires. Many are placarded "Not for Highway Use"

This is 100% correct and looking at the splitter in question it does not appear to have high speed bearings either.

Chris

/ Legal to Tow a Log Splitter? #18  
I personally won't tow mine because as DP stated the tires are not rated for highway use (higher speeds) and the bearings are not designed. I just put down a couple of ramps and roll it into the trailer and strap it down (looks kind of silly if that is the only thing on the trailer, which it is if I am taking it to my brother's place or my folk's)

I do know a guy that rebuilt his splitter -- longer tongue, different hubs (bearings), tires and wheels, and added fenders and lights. (he is retired and likes "projects"
out in the shop during the winter).

/ Legal to Tow a Log Splitter? #19  
A little research indicates nothing's free in CT. Wood splitter is a trailer & must have lights & approved tires for hiway operation. New Hampshire allows towing without registration of fixed purpose trailers (splitters, mixers, etc) in the owners home town, out of town needs registration. MikeD74T

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/pub/chap246.htm

Sec 14-1 Definitions:

(8) "Camp trailer" includes any trailer designed for living or sleeping purposes and used exclusively for camping or recreational purposes;

(9) "Camp trailer registration" means the type of registration issued to any trailer that is for nonbusiness use and is limited to camp trailers and utility trailers;

(53) "Motor vehicle" means any vehicle propelled or drawn by any nonmuscular power ?/FONT>

(93) "Trailer" means any rubber-tired vehicle without motive power drawn or propelled by a motor vehicle;
(98) "Utility trailer" means a trailer designed and used to transport personal property, materials or equipment, whether or not permanently affixed to the bed of the trailer, with a manufacturer's GVWR of ten thousand pounds or less;

Sec 14-12 (f) (3) The commissioner shall not register any motor vehicle, except a platform truck the motive power of which is electricity, or a tractor equipped with solid tires, if it is not equipped with lighting devices as prescribed by this chapter. The registration of any motor vehicle which is not equipped with such prescribed lighting devices is void and money paid for the registration shall be forfeited to the state. Nothing in this subdivision shall prevent the commissioner, at his discretion, from registering a motor vehicle not equipped with certain lighting devices if the operation of the vehicle is restricted to daylight use.

Sec. 14-96c. Tail lamps. Illumination of rear registration plate. (a) After October 1, 1967, every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least two tail lamps mounted on the rear,

Sec. 14-96e. Stop lamps. Turn signals. (a) Each motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer shall be equipped with two or more stop lamps meeting the requirements of subsection (a) of section 14-96r

/ Legal to Tow a Log Splitter? #20  
In North Carolina it is legal to pull any piece of equipment that is used for work off of the highway; welder, logspliter, hog cooker etc. and is not conveying cargo.
No title or license is required unless it is hauling cargo. Example: the pig cooker can not have a pig on the spit or charcoal in the bay or it is considered hauling cargo and must be titled and licensed. This is what the DVM told me when I ask about my pig cooker.
It would take a pretty odd cop to ticket for such a thing.
In North Carolina it is pretty common to see a trailer with no tag and it is not enforced unless there is a wreck or very large abuse like overload or dangerous equipment.