Posthole Digger Leinbach Post Hole Digger

/ Leinbach Post Hole Digger #1  

Michael_C

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030,Gearmore
I'm looking at both Leinbach L7200 and L7300 diggers with 6"/9"/12" augers for $600 and $650 respectively (plus shipping). Anyone have any knowledge of Leinbech quality/durability? Is this a reasonable price for Leinbach? The diggers will be used in fairly high clay content soil with some rock. Is there a better solution out there for the price?
All input is welcomed /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Leinbach Post Hole Digger #2  
I run a 7200jr on my bx and have had no problems.

/ Leinbach Post Hole Digger #3  
I love mine. I got the 7300 with the adjustable toplink. Its for compact tractors. I got the 12 auger and have had no problems with it. I have broke a shear pin but if you would of seen the rock down in that hole /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I paid $410 here local for everything including 12" auger.

/ Leinbach Post Hole Digger #4  
I have an 7200 with a 12" auger. For the price it is great. I put in the same class a kingkutter attachments. It is built to do the job. The paint sucks and the welds on the auger are not pretty, but it works. I did not have any problems in clay unless it is really hard packed. The cutting edge is not very aggressive. I still works it just takes longer. The 12" auger does well with stones it would bring up softball size without too much trouble. You will need to get extra shear bolts. I like to keep 6 onhand. I hope this helps. Mike

/ Leinbach Post Hole Digger #5  
I have a 7200/9" which works great but I am mostly sand and river rock here. I like the way the boom pole is set up and the gearbox removes with 1 pin. I can easilly put it on/off single handed. I back it into the corner of the shed and drop the driveshaft and pull the top pin and stand the auger/gearbox in the corner. I then remove the boom and stand it in front of the auger. Installation is just the opposite, not much space used and no strained muscles.

/ Leinbach Post Hole Digger
Thanks to all of you for the great feedback - It sounds like checking local pricing is worth doing.
Michael

/ Leinbach Post Hole Digger #7  
We must be looking at the same guy in Tulsa. I can pick it up since it is only a few hours from here. However, I don't know exactly what the difference is in the diggers except for the horsepower rating on the gearbox. Will they both work fine on my Kubota L3400? Tnnks for any input.

/ Leinbach Post Hole Digger #8  
I'll chime in on Leinbach durability. My tractor has 50pto hp and I've used the auger to prepare holes for school playground equipment when my kids were younger. The school lawn is very bony underneath so I've broken lots of shear bolts on both the shaft and the 12" auger - twisted the top pin plate the unit hangs from, and even put a twist into the auger pipe. But the gearbox performed flawlessly. Very stout rig if it stands up to this kind of (ab)use. Leinbach is good stuff. Careful you don't get it dirty /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Leinbach Post Hole Digger #9  
Hmm, I'll be the lone voice of dissent here. I have the Leinbach 7400 PHD and have had to replace much of it because my 50 hp tractor has destroyed a lot of it. About the only thing that seems to be of reasonable quality is the gearbox. I twisted the 12" auger exactly in half. I broke the shear bolts almost everytime I put the auger to the ground, so I spent the money to put in a slip clutch. (highly recommended) I also bent the arm that holds the gearbox and auger when I hit a medium sized rock while digging. I could have purchased a quality PHD for what I've spent on mine now. Even though I own one, under no circumstances would I consider it a quality unit. It is a price leader and you pretty well get what you pay for.

I do have a Leinbach pulverizer (gill) and a spreader and they have served me well. However, they are not pushed hard at all. From what I've seen, Leinbach makes reasonable priced alternatives to some of the more expensive, higher quality, offerings. As long as you understand that, you should not be disappointed.

/ Leinbach Post Hole Digger #10  
Mine was part of the deal I worked out when I bought my 35hp Century tractor. It's just over 30 pto hp. I don't know what model I have, but it came with the 12 inch auger for $295 total. My dealer said that was his cost and he was just moving it to make the deal happen on the tractor.

I've busted quite a few shear pins, which is what supposed to happen when to protect the gear box. I use standard grade bolts for sheer pins and keep a bunch of them on hand. I can drill all day without any breaking, or I can break half a dozen on one hole. Rocks and iron ore cause all my problems.

The auger is the weak link in my opinion. The clay dulls the cutting edge and wears it down rather quickly. I've tried a few things to fix it, but haven't go tit right yet.

As for auger size, I'd get the biggest bit you can. My 12 inch auger is just big enough for 4 to 6 inch posts. In fact, I usually have to dig out the walls of half the holes I drill, but that could also be from my lack of skill.

Getting the hole to go down perfectly straight is very hard to do. There are all sorts of hidden things in the ground to send the bit off on an angle. Things like rocks and roots will get you every time.

Eddie