Length of chain

/ Length of chain #71  
Richard - I'd call it a cross between a sky blue and a medium blue. Not quite a pastel, but a very pretty blue, in a masculine sort of way. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

MarkC
ChalkleySig2.gif

/ Length of chain #72  
OK, Gerard, now I understand. I always called those "master links"; but don't know where I got that from. I was in Tractor Supply this morning, but never thought about seeing what they call them.

Incidentally, there has been talk about the Chinese hooks, and I picked up and looked at a lot of hooks in Tractor Supply today, and every one I found said "USA" on it. And I found G30, G43, and G70 hooks, and all tagged with the load capacity in pounds.

This new Tractor Supply Co. store in our area is even better than the two I've used in the past; chock full of stuff I'd like to have. But as usual, they had everything except what I was looking for today./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird

/ Length of chain #73  
Just get it good and muddied up and chain is all the same color!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Boy Mark that was quite a color description. Just glad you put in the last part of that description I was begining to wonder!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Gordon

/ Length of chain #74  
Bird thats why I hate to go shopping a hardware store can have 500,000 items in stock and bet you'll never guess what number item it seems that I always need. Number 500,001 or there will be bins full of every pipe fitting known to man except the one that I need. But sometimes my luck is good and I fill my entire shopping list. Seems those times are rare./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Gordon

/ Length of chain #75  
Northern sells a load binder that is a ratchet type with a spring.

Ken

/ Length of chain #76  
Misc thoughts:

The ratchet binders combined with a spring would be nice for chaining down loads w/o some give (ie a bulldozer or load of pipe), but they would increase the work required to tighten on a load such as a tracter with air filled tires. it also might eat up some of the play latter needed for tightening as you go down the road. The springs are sold by themselves

Another idea is to air down the tires (assuming they are not foam or water filled), chain it down, and then inflate the tires. If the tow vehicle already has air brakes or a compressor, it's not much effort.

AW Direct sells a fairly expensive (~$20) grab hook that includes a pin thet will keep the chain from falling out of the jaw of the hook. I wouldn't buy them for all my chains, but it does come in handy now and then. the hook is Grade 80 and the pin is replaceable and almost indestructable. They also have high end Johnson snatch blocks with HD latches.

BTW, Grade 43, is not the low end of chain. Chain is available much weaker than that, especially in 1/4" sizes. I wouldn't use less than Grade 43 for any significant load. Grade 70 is stronger, but more expensive for the same weight. it is generally cheaper to buy a bigger chain than a better grade if strength is the only concern.

Too keep from loosing a chain, you can paint it with daygo paint- it won't be pretty, but you can find it and won't be as likely to trip over it. Leave the hooks unpainted (or paint a different color) to make it easier to grab the end. The paint want last for long if the chain drags the ground a lot, unless the sam end is always hooked to the tractor. Good treatment for tools in the tractor tool box also.

Pat