Length of powe outages

/ Length of powe outages #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
I hear people make comments such as "My power outages only last two or three hours". I think that almost any area can have long power outages. If there is a common wide area event such as a hurricane, ice storm, snow storm, many tornados, etc., the resources used to fix this can be overwhelmed and delayed. Certainly if you live at the end of a long line and you are the only one on it, that can delay power return. Perhaps if you share power feed with a hospital or other high priority costumers you may get power sooner. I think it is risky to think that because all of your past power outages were short, then all future outages would be short. Does anyone feel they live where they are at low risk for power outages or long outages? Why do you think this?

/ Length of powe outages #2  
I hear people make comments such as "My power outages only last two or three hours". I think that almost any area can have long power outages. If there is a common wide area event such as a hurricane, ice storm, snow storm, many tornados, etc., the resources used to fix this can be overwhelmed and delayed. Certainly if you live at the end of a long line and you are the only one on it, that can delay power return. Perhaps if you share power feed with a hospital or other high priority costumers you may get power sooner. I think it is risky to think that because all of your past power outages were short, then all future outages would be short. Does anyone feel they live where they are at low risk for power outages or long outages? Why do you think this?

Ill admit that the outages i experience have gotten alot further in between that they used to be. We used to get 4-6 outages a season lasting days each time. The utility companies here have really upgraded stuff over the years, and these have cut down drastically. But a good snow storm can still leave us in the dark and cold.

/ Length of powe outages #3  
In six years the longest outages was 1:06 minutes. Our local coop invested in our local grid. They have moved as much overhead to Underground as possible. We are also loop fed. Have a fault and they can re-route while the repair takes place. Also fed from two different sub stations so if one fails they reroute power.

If it is a serious winter storm we can last a day or so without power. I will be at work if it is a bad storm and will probably take the family to work to help

/ Length of powe outages #4  
Luck of the draw. When Isabel came through southeast VA, we lived in a neighborhood with underground power which was across the street from the local hospital. We were without power for 10 or 12 days. The highest recorded wind gust was something like 60mph. By the numbers, Isabel was a weak tropical storm when it came over us. The house we live in now was without power for 15 or so days after Isabel.

Fast forward eight years. We live in a more rural area about 6 miles away. Our above ground power lines go through a ravine and about 300 feet of trees. There's about 40 houses that go dark if something happens to that line. Winds from Irene were comparable to Isabel. We didn't lose power at all during Irene. But we did lose power the night before Irene, due to a small thunderstorm. Maybe three hours. And about a week after Irene, we lost power again, maybe two hours.

I'm more concerned about the rolling blackouts due to the EPA overstepping. If I stand outside after the leaves have dropped, I can see the smokestack for the local power plant. The owner has announced they will be shutting it down in the next ten years because of the EPA regs. Demand certainly won't go down. There's another one about 30 miles away they're shutting down within the next five years.

Last winter, we didn't use the heat pump at all. All heating was through the wood stove. This spring, we replaced the 24 year old heat pump and our summer electric bills dropped by 30%. Now I'm starting to investigate solar water heating. After that, maybe add some solar panels.

Keith

/ Length of powe outages
In six years the longest outages was 1:06 minutes. Our local coop invested in our local grid. They have moved as much overhead to Underground as possible. We are also loop fed. Have a fault and they can re-route while the repair takes place. Also fed from two different sub stations so if one fails they reroute power.

If it is a serious winter storm we can last a day or so without power. I will be at work if it is a bad storm and will probably take the family to work to help

That is a good system. Do you have a generator?
Our neighborhood can be fed from two directions. During Irene we had trees down in three places in one direction on the power lines, and two big trees in one area in the other direction. It took out the pole between the trees. During Isabel things were much worse. Underground sounds nice, very unlikely here.

/ Length of powe outages
We lost power for 7 days from Isabel and considered ourselves lucky for that.

Well these two comments proved my statements wrong. Thanks for the info. Basically we live in a forest that is surrounded by forest. I can walk down our street and see several dead trees near the lines. My neighbor called the power company to cut his down. Six months later it fell down on a dry windy day and started a fire. Fortunately a driver reported it quickly. I tend to think of our forest as normal.

/ Length of powe outages #7  
In my area a couple years ago 100 or so were without power for 5 days, that in the summer.
Frequent shorter outages happen fairly often (like couple hours) so I installed a 6000 watt genset c/w an approved switching panel.
No regrets other than the battery never lasts, true it is outside in cold area but I think I have that problem beat as I went to a larger acid battery and added a quality tender.
While heat is not the problem, saving stored food and having water (we are on a well) is a must.
Just 2 fridges and the contents of the chest freezer over one outage pays for the genset.
Comfort is the bonus.

/ Length of powe outages #8  
About 3 years ago we had a real wicked wind storm that took out many poles in a large area, no power for 5 days. As well there are only 3 property's that use the small Hydro line to our place so we have low priority. Have had several other power outages that lasted 1-2-3 days. Lots of trees on the island so it doesn't take much, wind and/or snow on branches to knock out power lines. Now have a generator panel in the house that will run 8 circuits, so most of the lights and plugs in the house. Also put a generator plug in at the shop for our water pump, I have a separate generator for this. :)

/ Length of powe outages #9  
I live pretty rural and our lines are all overhead. Power rarely goes out, if so restored pretty quickly so I never had a backup plan. Fast forward to the 2010 blizzard that brought over 2 ft of snow and 5 days, no power. Lost food, no heat, well stopped functioning after 2 days, etc so made the decision to buy a generator/transfer switch installed. Then during the hurricanes recently (Irene the latest), again no power loss but they were expecting it.

To me, there is now a peace of mind knowing that should there be a problem, I am prepared. It cost about $1800 to storm ready the house - that's expensive if never needed or "priceless" if only needed once and it means staying in the home, no loss of food, warm house, etc. But I still believe overall our electric coop does a great job!

/ Length of powe outages #10  
We are also co-op. In '07 I think we had a pretty bad ice storm here in Ohio and we lost power for three days. But over all I think we we on the low end of the scale for "worry". But I still want a backup generator in case of the BIG one.