Lesson, learned. BH on a B2920

/ Lesson, learned. BH on a B2920 #1  

fredhargis

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2920, Kioto CK3510HB
I was following another thread about the hassle on mounting a BH on a Kubota. I had bought a B2920 last April with the BH but didn't ask the dealer to deliver it (the hoe) until this week (just moved here, and had to make room in the barn). In the mentioned thread, DeizNutz (sp?) posted a photo of his B3030 showing the 3PH arms nested below the BH frame when the hoe was mounted, I was hoping that would be the case on my 2920 (especially since I turned down a 3030 when I bought mine). Here's the disappoint to me: the dealer informed me (yesterday) that to mount the hoe on my tractor I have to remove the 3 PH, which I think means I also have to remove the MMM, to mount the hoe. Bummer, that will ad to the hassle of using the hoe, and had I known that I might have put more consideration into purchasing the hoe. Not a catastrophe by any means, but a disappointment. Anyone with a 2920 try leaving the 3 PH arms on withe hoe mounted? (Rest assured I will).

/ Lesson, learned. BH on a B2920 #2  
When I bought my B3030 the dealer told me that with the Kubota BH you needed to remove the 3pt hitch arms, but the Woods BH was designed so you could leave the arms on. He recomended removing the arms any way cause he'd seen more than one person lift the arms with the BH on and damage the 3pt lift. Not sure about a MMM, but seems like an expensive mistake for the 5 min to remove the arms.

/ Lesson, learned. BH on a B2920 #3  
I have a Wood BH on my B7800 and I need to remove the 3pt hitch arms. It only takes me 5 minutes to remove the MMM and about 5 minutes more to remove the 3pt hitch arms so it is not a big deal.

/ Lesson, learned. BH on a B2920 #4  
cant be done - the 3 pt must come off. I did not understand how to remove it initially. I have it down to about 10 minutes but I do not have a MMM so I cant speak to that.

/ Lesson, learned. BH on a B2920
cant be done - the 3 pt must come off. I did not understand how to remove it initially. I have it down to about 10 minutes but I do not have a MMM so I cant speak to that.

According to the dealer, it's a short job to remove the hitch, and I believe that. Because the 3 PH lifts the mower, you also remove the mower lifting arm which is what makes me think the MMM comes off as well. The dealer described it as "minutes" to do all this, and I'll bet after the 4th time or so that may be correct. It's likely to mean less use for the BH than I intended, tho'. I'm not dreading any of this, but it would be nice if the 3PH could have been left alone....although the warnings about damage have a lot of merit. Maybe it's just as well......and thanks to all for their insight.

/ Lesson, learned. BH on a B2920 #6  
When I bought my B3030 the dealer told me that with the Kubota BH you needed to remove the 3pt hitch arms, but the Woods BH was designed so you could leave the arms on. He recomended removing the arms any way cause he'd seen more than one person lift the arms with the BH on and damage the 3pt lift. Not sure about a MMM, but seems like an expensive mistake for the 5 min to remove the arms.
That's true, the Woods frame sits back a little further and has just enough clearance for the arms.

As far as damaging the 3PH, the pressure relief valve's purpose is to prevent that. It would be no different than trying to lift something beyond 3PH lift capacity, and having the valve squeal at you and the lift arms stall. If damage was caused, then there is flawed design or faulty components involved. Which is why I can't believe that the guy had really seen "more than one" person damage theirs, except maybe in his sleep.

Here's the disappoint to me: the dealer informed me (yesterday) that to mount the hoe on my tractor I have to remove the 3 PH, which I think means I also have to remove the MMM, to mount the hoe. Bummer, that will ad to the hassle of using the hoe, and had I known that I might have put more consideration into purchasing the hoe. Not a catastrophe by any means, but a disappointment. Anyone with a 2920 try leaving the 3 PH arms on withe hoe mounted? (Rest assured I will).
Fred, that's true the MMM lift brackets sit on top of the 3PH arms, which is another reason I wouldn't want to have to remove mine. Good luck.

/ Lesson, learned. BH on a B2920 #7  
You do not have to remove the MMM to put the BH on. You just pin up the front of the MMM (this is a pain)and set your height control to top to hold the back up. The pivot pin that the 3pt arms and the MMM lift bracket rotate on stays on the tractor so the MMM lift bracket stays on the tractor as well. All you are really doing is removing the 3pt lifting arms. It is a hassel, but not that bad. I recommend some grease on the pin. You will notice there are holes in the BH sub frame beside where the pivot pin is. You slide the pin to one side and remove 1 3pt arm and then slide the pin to the other side and remove the other 3pt arm.

Good Luck, takes some getting used to.

Last edited:
   / Lesson, learned. BH on a B2920 #8  
That's true, the Woods frame sits back a little further and has just enough clearance for the arms.

As far as damaging the 3PH, the pressure relief valve's purpose is to prevent that. It would be no different than trying to lift something beyond 3PH lift capacity, and having the valve squeal at you and the lift arms stall. If damage was caused, then there is flawed design or faulty components involved. Which is why I can't believe that the guy had really seen "more than one" person damage theirs, except maybe in his sleep.

You are correct about the preasure relief valve, but if you leave it in the up position won't that damage the relief valve itself? Either way it's only an extra couple of minutes to take everything off.

/ Lesson, learned. BH on a B2920
. You will notice there are holes in the BH sub frame beside where the pivot pin is. You slide the pin to one side and remove 1 3pt arm and then slide the pin to the other side and remove the other 3pt arm.

Good Luck, takes some getting used to.
Well, I got everything back to my place and looked all this over, and it doesn't look as bad as I had first thought (removing the hitch). That is, until I tried to slide the pivot pin over. SURPRISE, the holes in the BH frame are misaligned (by almost an inch). Don't know if it's the wrong sub frame parts or just a manufacturing screwup. Hauled it back over to the dealer to show him....he's off trying to get new frame parts now. Geez, what a pain.

/ Lesson, learned. BH on a B2920 #10  
Haven't seen that yet! Somebody didn't put the arms in hte right place in the jig.

There is a way to keep the deck on with the hoe. The hydraulics are a problem if you don't follow along right as to the tool you are using.

We use a dummie stub on the lower link to replace the lower link for raising the mower. Need a torch for about 60 seconds and it's a done deal.