Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #11  
I built a "cage" out of 1" PVC (8 segments) and drape a 30' x30' piece of bird netting over it overlapping the open ends by one full segment. Secure netting to the PVC with zip ties and to the ground with netting pins. Pull up the pins on one overlapping segment to gain access for cherry picking. Tree produces at least 4 or 5 baskets
full each year so far.

Cherry Tree Tent.jpg

Cherries.jpg

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #12  
I live right in the area for Flathead cherries, so no need to take care of any crops. By favorites are Rainier Cherries........they are SOOOO GOOD.

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #13  
I have both cherry trees and peach trees. two years ago we got hundreds of good tasting cherrys off the trees and even after heavy thinning, more peaches than you could imagine. Last year, while the trees had copious blooms, both trees produced little fruit. I notices that there were almost no bees all summer.

This year I harvested total of 5 cherries from 2 trees and the peach trees will probably only have 10% of their normal production. Again almost no bees were to be seen.

There is no agriculture out here in the Mojave so I don't think the bees are being killed off by pesticides. The drought has been somewhat dryer than normal if that might effect the bees. 2020 rainfall was 5.11" and 2021 was 3.82 and only .06 so far this year.

If this continues, I may be out of the fruit business.

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #14  
2 cherry trees in the yard. 9 years ago, had more than what we could eat. Then the next 7 years, birds tore them up. Was about ready to cut them down, PIA to mow around if not getting any cherries.

New neighbors next door and they got barn cats, they went full Rambo on the birds. Had a really good cherry year this year. No mice in the garage either

Hate cats but I'll give those SOB's a pass.

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #15  
I have both cherry trees and peach trees. two years ago we got hundreds of good tasting cherrys off the trees and even after heavy thinning, more peaches than you could imagine. Last year, while the trees had copious blooms, both trees produced little fruit. I notices that there were almost no bees all summer.

This year I harvested total of 5 cherries from 2 trees and the peach trees will probably only have 10% of their normal production. Again almost no bees were to be seen.

There is no agriculture out here in the Mojave so I don't think the bees are being killed off by pesticides. The drought has been somewhat dryer than normal if that might effect the bees. 2020 rainfall was 5.11" and 2021 was 3.82 and only .06 so far this year.

If this continues, I may be out of the fruit business.
Fruit trees, like all trees don’t bear heavily every year. I get good crops every 3 years and lose blossoms some years to late freezes. Even when they don’t freeze, trees will often take a year off after a bumper crop.

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #16  
2 cherry trees in the yard. 9 years ago, had more than what we could eat. Then the next 7 years, birds tore them up. Was about ready to cut them down, PIA to mow around if not getting any cherries.

New neighbors next door and they got barn cats, they went full Rambo on the birds. Had a really good cherry year this year. No mice in the garage either

Hate cats but I'll give those SOB's a pass.
Search for a product called bird gard. It works, but it’s best for rural locations because the noise wouldn’t be appreciated by close neighbors. It emits distress signals of local birds that tell birds to stay away. These sounds are broadcast at random intervals.

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year
We really thought this Cherry tree thingy would work. We are 7 years in to it as a for fun project. This tree has provided 10 eatable cherries in seven years. My joke is that there is truth in advertizing. It was sold a A Cherry Tree. And thats what we seem to get.... A Cherry each year. :)

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #18  
I managed to see one cherry this year and it was the size of a pea!

/ Lets see if the birds get all the cherries this year #19  
I picked the first cherry ever this year. I've had various fruit trees in the ground for 5 years and up, hopefully they will start producing.
The deer found them this year so some of the smaller ones have had a set back.