Let's see your welds...

/ Let's see your welds... #61  
slow your wire speed down to the point it would be unorthodox to use, but yet steady. This is a very slow process of mig welding. Prob about 5in per minute, just as a referance

REALLY? What good is that? I thought the idea behind Mig was to be fast?:confused:
I'll try your way tomorrow morning. I was just setting here thinking, I should have tried it like 6010, with a whip back and forth motion.

/ Let's see your welds... #62  
I thought the same thing once I figured it out. Welds look cool, but like I said yesterday, there definateley is a time and place for that procedure very very slow. Would definateley help put a staple in big dollar, eye catcher jobs tho.

/ Let's see your welds... #63  
Being so slow is the key to the perfect uniformity, you have so much time to watch everything going on. Thats how its possible to pull off that robotic look. When I first caught wind of this (outcome) of mig welding I was scratching my head saying wtf, how is this possible with a mig welder, no one could be that fast and that accurate for that long, no way! Maybe on luck once in a while, with a scrap pile of steel behind you. But after a little trial and error and a little research, Bingo! Mega slow, then it made sense on how to pull it off for 2ft at a time, every time ;)

/ Let's see your welds... #64  
I guess I'll have to change the way I think.:laughing: When I set up a Mig welder to weld, I set it up to run as hot and as fast as I can handle it. I've taken hundreds of Mig tests, only failed one, and that was in the mid 1970s. I ran a 1-inch 3-G too cold, I swore it would never happen again, to date it hasn't!;)

/ Let's see your welds... #65  
That is very interesting! We use to have a saying, UT inspection is only as good as the man behind the scope. A good UT man is really helpful for repair work, but only if his trigonometry is up to snuff. That way we don't go digging around all over god's creation.

UT is very tedious. Even when you're set up correctly you most like will never see anything unless there's a problem. You can test for hours on end looking a a display showing nothing forcing you to return to your calibration block just so you can double check everything is working correctly, a sanity check. Of course I didn't use UT to do welds and I would guess that it would pick up on things like undercut.

PT is simple. With RT unless you really screw up on how hot your source is or developing time for the film you always shows something. MT is also pretty easy, especially if you are doing fluorescent.

/ Let's see your welds... #66  
crazyal said:
UT is very tedious. Even when you're set up correctly you most like will never see anything unless there's a problem. You can test for hours on end looking a a display showing nothing forcing you to return to your calibration block just so you can double check everything is working correctly, a sanity check. Of course I didn't use UT to do welds and I would guess that it would pick up on things like undercut.

PT is simple. With RT unless you really screw up on how hot your source is or developing time for the film you always shows something. MT is also pretty easy, especially if you are doing fluorescent.

You hit the nail in the head Al. I am a level 2 UT, my job sent me for a one week school a long time ago through a company called Lucious Pitkin, and I passed all my tests and got certified, but do you want to talk about mass confusion, I left there dumbfounded, like what the heck did I just learn. This instructor couldnt prove anything on either end of anything.

/ Let's see your welds... #67  
So, with the slow mig, you're setting the wire speed as slow as you can, and cranking the volts up?

/ Let's see your welds... #68  
Very good thread you got here and I am enjoying reading it. I'm probably one of those guys that just ran out and bought a welder so they can weld. Some of you guys are professionals so if you would put up with me as I learn, I'd appreciated it.

I do have some pictures I took of some stuff I welded last summer that I know was too thick and I didn't do adequate preparation with. I am not good at disciplining myself to go all the way to get an optimum weld which I should do.

It has been cold out there in the shop and I haven't done any welding for a long time. I should go out and make sure my wire isn't rusted and practice a bit.

Welder is a Lincoln 180C, 240V Mig welder with C02 Shielding gas and I think 0.035 wire. Don't remember what I had it turned up to but probably turned all the way up.
Single pass on about 1/4 inch channel.
IMG_0013.JPG

This is, if I remember right, three passes on 1/4 and 3/4 steel. I didn't bevel the 3/4 enough to get full penetration with multiple pass.
4.jpg

/ Let's see your welds... #69  
Getting closer! I started out at 16-volts, which gave a little more definition, but I thought it was way too cold. I ran these at 18-volts, 77-amps, wire speed was at 187-1/2 inches per minute, (measured). Even these seem cold to me! I checked Lincoln's site to see if this was anywhere close to factory recommendations. For .030 L-56 Lincoln has a minimum of 17-volts, and 35-amps! I was shocked at this!:shocked:

The travel speed on this is so slow, I fell asleep three times while making this 7-inch long weld! :laughing:

Attachments

• 1A.JPG
    1A.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 1B.JPG
    1B.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 1C.JPG
    1C.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 211
  • 1D.JPG
    1D.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 187
   / Let's see your welds... #70  
I never had much trouble getting that " fishscale" look. It is all in the type of weave you use. The >>> look is probabally just from a typical u shaped or z-weave. You can run the amps hotter and still get the "tig" look if you do the lower case e pattern. The problem is doing it SOOO consistantly.

Here is a pics of some I just did. Miller 350P welder and .035 wire. Volts @ 15.8 and wire @ 160 FPM. This was 1/8" cold roll. And I too feel it isnt hot enough. I tried it colder and slower as per suggestions here. I normally would have welded this somewhere around 18.5V and 200-230 FPM.

The second pic is the same size metal, only set up to pulse. Wire speed @ 280. (there is no voltage/amperage adjustment on pulsed). This is about 2x's to 3x's faster travel speed than short curcuit welds.:thumbsup: And **** strong too.

The last two pics was a little TIG'ing on some stainless. Welding 1/4" bar to 14ga sheet for a guard.

Attachments

• mig.jpeg
    mig.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 215
  • pulse.jpeg
    pulse.jpeg
    605.7 KB · Views: 231
  • tig.jpeg
    tig.jpeg
    457.7 KB · Views: 252
  • tig2.jpeg
    tig2.jpeg