Lets see your Woodworking Skills

/ Lets see your Woodworking Skills #112  
The mantle and the table came from the same maple tree from my bush lot , and the stools from another smaller maple. All gifts for my daughter's rural house.

On the table, is that a board in the center out of the same tree used for stability?

/ Lets see your Woodworking Skills #113  
One of the "goops" I use is latex paint on the ends while letting the logs/lumber
dry, about $9/gallon at Home Depot/lowes on the "whoops rack".

I have tried latex paint on the ends of a test log, and the small cracks went right thru the paint. A more
rubbery material (elastomeric), like mobile home coating would work better. Melted wax is an experiment
I have suggested, but not tested myself. Also, if the log is not yet slabbed, putting the sealant on only the
outer diameter, leaving the core to dry first may help, too.

Most drying happens via the end-grain capillaries, but the sides should not be neglected.

/ Lets see your Woodworking Skills #114  
Jerrybob, not sure what part of the hood you are in but hello. WOW, that restoration is amazing. One heck of a project. How bad of shape was it in?

Thanks.....I will PM YOU.

/ Lets see your Woodworking Skills #115  
Jerrybob, how many hours in that restoration? Very nice.

Had her in the shop for about a month but didn't work on it all the time or keep track of hours. The coach is an 1890 Town Coach made by C P Kimball in Chicago. She was not in terrible shape compared to some we have gotten......had to repair a door, do some minor body repair and paint the quarter panels. One of the carriage lanterns was badly damaged and the driver seat upholstery was shot and was redone. Had to remove paint from many brass parts that were painted over for some reason in years gone by. Had to do some minor wheel work. The coach is beautiful.....very historic......once owned by an Illinois lumberman in the 19th century.

/ Lets see your Woodworking Skills #116  
On the table, is that a board in the center out of the same tree used for stability?
That is maple square stock 2x4 (not from that tree) It is more for style, I wanted to use the second half of the mantle log, but it was of course just half the width, so to double the width I could of just used one length of maple square stock and two full length blocks, but that would look boring, so went with a tee and then used the tee to attach the four blocks to . Belt Sanding the two perpendicular sides on each block was a pain (I don't have a electric planer) , but it all came together.

/ Lets see your Woodworking Skills #117  
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Here is a set of cornhole boards I made for my son in law. Birch plywood on 2 x 4 frame stained and polyurethaned. Added pinstripe and stickers. The other is a set of washer boards. Also stained and polyurethaned. They weren't pretty very long but made em that way for my son's bachelor party.

/ Lets see your Woodworking Skills #118  
Nice work guys! I am impressed with the contributions and your skills. I never pass up the chance to show off my woodworking... I am a full time banjo builder. My banjos are all hand made, (except the metal parts...). I make the pots out of blocks and turn them round on a lathe. I am especially fond of walnut, but also use maple, cherry, and some exotic woods. I also do the shell inlay myself, using my designs. I cut the shell, inlay it into the wood and sometimes engrave it. Any banjo players out there in tractor land? I have a web site with more info and pictures; Deanocraft Custom Banjos by Dean O. Robinson - Home Page

DSCN1626.JPGDSCN1744.JPGDSCN1763.JPGDSCN1940.JPGDSCN2132.JPGDSCN2147.JPGDSCN2205.JPGDSCN2281.JPGDSCN2641.JPGDSCN2612.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1736.JPG
    DSCN1736.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 118
   / Lets see your Woodworking Skills #119  
Nice work guys! I am impressed with the contributions and your skills. I never pass up the chance to show off my woodworking... I am a full time banjo builder. My banjos are all hand made, (except the metal parts...). I make the pots out of blocks and turn them round on a lathe. I am especially fond of walnut, but also use maple, cherry, and some exotic woods. I also do the shell inlay myself, using my designs. I cut the shell, inlay it into the wood and sometimes engrave it. Any banjo players out there in tractor land? I have a web site with more info and pictures; Deanocraft Custom Banjos by Dean O. Robinson - Home Page

View attachment 465461View attachment 465463View attachment 465464View attachment 465465View attachment 465466View attachment 465467View attachment 465468View attachment 465469View attachment 465470View attachment 465471

Those banjo's are beautiful......nice work!

/ Lets see your Woodworking Skills #120  
Beautiful work. I started learning banjo back in the late 70's, but haven't picked one up much since. I have an old Alvarez.