Let's talk 1911's

/ Let's talk 1911's #1  

atsah

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3025E
I'm in the market for a reasonably priced 1911 in the $1000 range, I haven't fired many of them, I did fire a SIG STX 45 and really liked it, I shot it better than any handgun I own..

The STX is from their custom shop, the slide is tight and moves really nicely, the trigger is also very good.. I'm also looking at Springfield Armory Loaded 1911.. What do you guys have and do you like it.. I'm not looking for a GI model.. I can buy a like new STX for $750, I'm leaning towards the SIG.. I also like that it's made in NH..

/ Let's talk 1911's #2  
That is a good price for a Sig. I have the Kimber Pro CDP II, commander length. Love that gun, and like you, find it a natural shooter. Melted edges, well balanced, and aesthetically pleasing. I had a Rock Island full size, regret getting rid of it, but was in a pinch. Will get another for a garage gun.

I also am fond of the Springfield XD line, have a pair of the XDSs and seriously considering the tactical. But my real love is a wheel gun, have 3 so far, with more on the horizon.

/ Let's talk 1911's #3  
That is a good price for a Sig. I have the Kimber Pro CDP II, commander length. Love that gun, and like you, find it a natural shooter. Melted edges, well balanced, and aesthetically pleasing. I had a Rock Island full size, regret getting rid of it, but was in a pinch. Will get another for a garage gun.

I also am fond of the Springfield XD line, have a pair of the XDSs and seriously considering the tactical. But my real love is a wheel gun, have 3 so far, with more on the horizon.
I also was in the gunshop today looking at .45's so will be following this thread closely.
Are there any that you lean towards? Not to hijack the thread but I'm thinking about a larger caliber single action. I'm rather partial to Ruger handguns, they made all three of the ones which I currently own.

/ Let's talk 1911's
No worry's about hijacking, if we are talking firearms I'm good...

/ Let's talk 1911's #5  
I am a Ruger fan as well, GP100, SP101, and Single Six convertible. My next will be the birds head Vaquero, a must have for the collection. Sold my Super Redhawk, like a fool (funding a big block), looking for another now. Always wanted a .41 magnum. One in a Redhawk would be great.

/ Let's talk 1911's #6  
I am a Ruger fan as well, GP100, SP101, and Single Six convertible. My next will be the birds head Vaquero, a must have for the collection. Sold my Super Redhawk, like a fool (funding a big block), looking for another now. Always wanted a .41 magnum. One in a Redhawk would be great.

I have two of your list, and had the SP101 for about 18 hours before taking it back and trading up for the GP100. Today I was looking at a Vaquero, then wandered down to the shotgun section where they had a nice looking older Savage .410 O/U, which would have looked good next to my model 24 in .22/20 gauge. At that point I decided that it was time to leave because the last thing I needed is another shotgun. If it had been a 20 or twelve though...

I sold a lot of guns and other things that I wish I hadn't, back when I was working for myself and had a bad year. Many of them went for fire sale prices, too.

/ Let's talk 1911's #7  
Agreed, no more leave this house. The wish list is much longer than the funding required, but side jobs here and there add to the collection. Could have a safe full for the cost of the new Kub, but hobbies ebb and flow, and all need their time in the sun!

/ Let's talk 1911's
I was always a S&W wheelgun guy but I find Ruger to be a more rugged gun, the lock up is better and they are overbuilt in a good way..

/ Let's talk 1911's #9  
Stout, that is what Bill Ruger strived for. They will handle a hot load like no other. Not the most elegant, I think of them as blue collar firearms. Solid to the core, fundamentally sound, and all around good guns. Not a fan or the P series though, had 2 of them, the trigger creep is long and gritty. Much prefer the XDs for carry.

/ Let's talk 1911's
I have a S&W Mountain Gun in 44 mag, it is a very nice gun in 4 inch and my favorite wheelgun, with that said I like Rugers if I was to buy one today.. I agree, "p series" isn't something I care for..