Let's talk chains.

/ Let's talk chains. #1  

Topkicker

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
The only chainsaws I own are Stihl's. I love Stihl chains. I've been on Dolmar's website and like what I see. Very nice looking saws and alot of folks here use and like them as well. How do their chains compare to Stihl's? What does Dolmar make that compares with the RSC chain? Does anyone run Stihl chains on their Dolmar? Thanks in advance.

/ Let's talk chains. #2  
Dolmar and Husky use Oregon chain with their names put on it.

You can run any name chain on any name saw. Just match gauge, drive link, etc.

/ Let's talk chains. #3  
. . . You can run any name chain on any name saw. Just match gauge, drive link, etc.

Yep, but I've never found any chain that holds up as well as the STIHL brand.

As far as I'm concerned, sharpening or replacing a cheap, dull chain just ain't worth my time.

/ Let's talk chains. #4  
Dolmar and Husky use Oregon chain with their names put on it.

You can run any name chain on any name saw. Just match gauge, drive link, etc.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yep, but I've never found any chain that holds up as well as the STIHL brand.

As far as I'm concerned, sharpening or replacing a cheap, dull chain just ain't worth my time.

Agreed. Stihl chains just seem to stay sharp longer:thumbsup:

Not sure if there is any truth to it, but I have heard that they use more chrome when they plate them. (thicker layer).

/ Let's talk chains.
Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like everyone likes Stihl chains. They do hold a sharp edge. A Dolmar with a RSC chain sounds like a good combo.

/ Let's talk chains. #6  
They do hold a sharp edge. A Dolmar with a RSC chain sounds like a good combo.

Excellent combo indeed:thumbsup:

Stihl chain is definatally the best of what I have tried.

Oregon chain is also good as long as it has the cutters with the bluish tinted teeth.

Last time around, I got some woodland pro from baileys because I was also buying a bar, and trying to save a few bucks. Their 24" chain was $16 compaired to the $22 or so that the local stihl dealer charges me. The guy at baileys reccomended it as being the closest compariable thing to stihl.

I would not reccomend it to anyone though. For whatever reason, it comes sharpened with 35 degree cutter angles instead of the standard 30 degree I am used to. So needless to say, it didnt hold an edge long in our dead eastern hardwoods.

After filing the angles back to 30* though, it does seem to hold up pretty well, allthough not quite as well as stihl, but close. But alot of cutter material was lost and time wasted just getting back to 30*

/ Let's talk chains. #7  
woodland pro = made by Carlton to their order specs I hear.

/ Let's talk chains. #8  
woodland pro = made by Carlton to their order specs I hear.

I think I have heard that too.

Local dolmar dealer carries windsor and carlton both (last I checked). Wiford in mt vernon. You've probabally heard of them. They make loops to order but I have found I dont like the them chains as well as the blue oregon or stihl chain.

I was just turned off by the 35* cutter angle. Allthough it is probabally fast as h3ll and lasts awhile in some of the green PNW softwoods.

/ Let's talk chains. #9  
Just ran some carlton K2 325 new loop I had on hand on a 45cc 346 I picked up last night. Like the bigger cutter of the stihl rsc 325 chain.

/ Let's talk chains. #10  
I agree that Stihl has the best chain. But, recently I bought a loop of Windsor chain, and I very impressed. It's holding up as well as Stihl. I don't know the Windsor model, but it has a K3 stamped in the drive link. I think I paid about the same as Stihl.