Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,191  
I have 2 7 footers. both JD 25A's They work very well for making a field look like a lawn or a lawn look like well groomed lawn, Lawn you can mow at very low rps's which makes the job quiet and enjoyable. Just a low hummm.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,192  
beppington said:
Actually they seem to be quite a bit more favored for residential than commercial. And yes it should do exactly what you describe :thumbsup: A 6' Caroni TM1900 would work perfectly on your L4240, & you should be able to mow your 2.5 acres pretty quickly.

No doubt a TM1900 would cut 2.5 acres quickly but remember it is not a finish cutter. The B style cutters give a good but not true finish cut. Perfect for fields and I am happy with the cut around the house but someone looking for a manicured lawn look would be disappointed. I think it is the F style blades and rotor that are designed for true finish mowing.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,193  
No doubt a TM1900 would cut 2.5 acres quickly but remember it is not a finish cutter. The B style cutters give a good but not true finish cut. Perfect for fields and I am happy with the cut around the house but someone looking for a manicured lawn look would be disappointed. I think it is the F style blades and rotor that are designed for true finish mowing.

He said "decently finished lawn" not manicured. Maybe we need more info or better defined terms. To me "decently" means good but maybe not great. Maybe a 7 or 8 on a 1 to 10 scale. Now we're gettin' to the nitty gritty :) :thumbsup:

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,194  
beppington said:
He said "decently finished lawn" not manicured. Maybe we need more info or better defined terms. To me "decently" means good but maybe not great. Maybe a 7 or 8 on a 1 to 10 scale. Now we're gettin' to the nitty gritty :) :thumbsup:

I agree but sometimes people think of yard service type cuts whenever talking about lawns. For my own purpose any means of keeping the grass from turning into a hayfield is just fine.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,195  
Is there any reason that the fine cut blade on the left will not provide a good finish cut.

Does anyone have any pictures for comparison, using the best blades on each cutter.

Attachments

• befflailblds1.jpg
    befflailblds1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 2,022
   / Let's talk flail mowers #1,196  
J_J said:
Is there any reason that the fine cut blade on the left will not provide a good finish cut.

Does anyone have any pictures for comparison, using the best blades on each cutter.

It would work. However there are half as many blade attachment points on the B rotor as on the F rotor so you could not mount as many knives.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,197  
Replacing V-Belts on a Ford 907 Flail Mower

The Ford 907 Flail Mower was manufactured between the years of 1965 and 1972. Mowers which were manufactured from 1970 forward may be identified by their spring-type tensioners (similar to an automotive fan belt tensioner) and their smaller 6-inch diameter Idler pulleys. Mowers manufactured prior to 1970 were equipped with a larger 8-inch diameter Idler pulley and a solid (non-spring) tension adjusting bracket.

Obtaining the correct V-belt for a 907 Mower can be difficult (particularly for the pre-1970 units) because Ford-New Holland changed the belt's part number several times; but failed to account for the larger 8-inch Idler pulleys on the pre-1970 units. So, here is what Ford 907 Mower Owners need to know, to get the correct V-belt and to replace it correctly:

1) If your mower has the solid idler adjusting bracket (no tension spring), the mower was manufactured before 1970 and should have the large 8-inch Idler pulley.

2) Ford-New Holland shows the part number of the V-belt for ALL 907 mowers as Part Number 9828694, and dealers will tell you this number has been changed to #86516668. However, this V-belt (#9828694 / #9828694) will not fit properly on the pre-1970 mowers.

3) Fortunately, all 907 mowers use a standard C-profile V-belt. This means that you can buy the belt from any local NAPA store. Pre-1970 mowers use a C-53 belt; while 1970 and later mowers use a C-52 belt. These belt numbers are generic and are used by all V-belt manufacturers, including Gates, Dayco and others.

4) If you purchase the belts from an industrial supply house, have them order the Kevlar type... they cost more... but are far stronger, and will last much longer.

5) To replace the belt, begin by removing the side cover. Then, loosen the two inner and outer 15/16" nuts, which secure the threaded J-bolt in the stop. Loosen the 9/16" nut located in the center of the Idler adjusting bracket. Turning the inner 15/16 nut against the stop will then force the idler adjusting bracket forward (and thus, move the Idler pulley forward) sliding the bolt on the bracket in the elongated slot in the mower housing. Replace the belt, and tighten the outer 15/16" nut until the belt is taught; continue tightening until the center of the belt deflects one-quarter inch (1/4") when 10 pounds of force is applied to the outside center of the belt. Tighten the inner 15/16" nut against the stop, and re-tighten the 9/16" nut on the Idler adjusting bracket. Finally, replace the cover and... start mowing!

SHARE THE KNOWLEDGE.

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #1,198  
I ordered (in January) a Caroni 6' flail with F style blades from AS. It is a special order, and am hoping to receive it in mid to late May. I will be mowing mostly lawn, field grasses and very light brush. It does have twice the number of flails, 112 IIRC.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,199  
RFB said:
I ordered (in January) a Caroni 6' flail with F style blades from AS. It is a special order, and am hoping to receive it in mid to late May. I will be mowing mostly lawn, field grasses and very light brush. It does have twice the number of flails, 112 IIRC.

We'll expect a review!!! Hope it arrives on time.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,200  
I love it when a plan comes together,

I can, and will tell you from my personal experience
you will not be dissapointed when you recieve your new
flail mower with the F rotor.

As long as you travel slowly and ore raise the flailmower
while mowing heavy brush or back over it while the
Power Take Off is engaged and operating at 540 R.P.M.,
and then drive forward as Island Tractor and I do with
heavy bushy growth you will not be dissapointed.

You can obtain the V belts locally as all V belts, like bearings
are metric thank the good lord and Swedish Engineering.

I think you will have the B53 V-belts on this beast
as they are the same size as the ones on
Island Tractors Caroni Flail Mower and my
Mathews Lawn Genie -my aplogies if I am mistaken
in advance as its been a while.

Be sure to have a spare pair of Kevlar belts for it,
as they are stronger than the standard corded V belts.

Keep the spares in a closed black garbage bag to
prevent premature damage to the spares from the
naturally occuring ozone which destroys rubber.

If you can send me your e-mail I can send you a
Caroni Parts manual as it is too large to upload
to the forum :mad:

The nice thing about a flail mower or any flailmower
for that matter is it has a built in lawn striping attachment
at no extra charge which you have to pay for with a
rotary mower.

Please let us know when it arrives so I can welcome
you as life member of the Flail Mower Nation.