Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,421  
I've used Maschios with their large heavy knives. Nice mower but keep it away from rocks. The heavy T knives mow bushes quite nicely but curl up and get shorter on rocky ground. I junked a set of knives on 6 or 7 acres when other blades would have shrugged it off.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,422  
Thanks for the reply. Any input on other brands? I think it's worth getting one that can be offset. Not sure if they all do that or not.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,423  
Despite what I said about their knives' reaction to rocks, I like Maschio mowers. Depends on the job. Mott/Alamo mowers are tough and common. Good mower but the cut isn't as good for my uses as something like a Kverneland (used to be Maletti). More overlap on the knives for tough cutting. The others I like aren't really common for non-commercial use and aren't available in 3pt models with offset. I assume you mean hydraulic offset or just a fixed offset? My Kvernelands are a good mower with mechanical offset standard and hydraulic sideshift optional IIRC.

I'm not sure if Maschio makes a flail with with small light knives close to the rock knives (dangle on a clevis or d-ring) on Caroni/Mott/Kverneland-type mowers though. I suppose a recommendation would depend on whether you need a mower with the Maschio knives like I'm thinking about. I remember their Y-knives as being about 8-10 inches long and probably a pound each.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,424  
Thanks for the reply. Any input on other brands? I think it's worth getting one that can be offset. Not sure if they all do that or not.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

About your mowing needs;

The ruling items are

1. your net power at the Power Take Off
2. whether you have a mechanical gear train and final drive.
3. what you think you can afford
4. what you can actually afford
5. how much time you have to mow
6. how much actual time you will be
able to invest in the work each and
every time you mow

Adding to this that hydrostatic power trains are
energy robbers with many four wheel and two
wheel drive tractors.

The issue is how much you can afford primarily as
far as a PTO powered integral implement purchase.

Most all of the European flailmowers offer a side shift option
and are sold here in the united states.

The heavy cast type hammer knives, and I mean "heavy" type knive
flail mowers are typically forestry mowers that are offered for sale
on tracked carriers OR heavy boom mowers.

The issue is the one turf type and what you want to maintain with the mower
AND the height of cut.

1. A true Hammer Knive is ment for brush clearing and reclamation and
has a flat hammer face mounted with a swivel hinge or fixed on a flail
mower rotor drum.

2. Hardened knives are preferred for longevity and they can be wet ground to
maintain them which is the preferred method of grinding.

3. Hardened Scoop Knives are sometime confused with hammer knives.

4. EVERY American brand of flail mower and European flail mower is made to very
high standards. The European brands are built with more safety features than the
american brands due to the EU's higher mower safety standards with regard to
guarding and a front mounted debris apron that follws the ground contour and
provides greater protection.

AS Ken Sweet is a forum sponsor I always suggest to anyone shopping
that you check with him first as he is an advertiser on the forum here
as he sells excellent flail mowers and shipping from his warehouse in
Kentucky is economical.

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #1,425  
Thanks for the reply. I'l check out Ken Sweets' site. This would be just for personal use for the property I own and some old unmaintained hay fields and some brush for my neigbor.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,426  
Most of my 3pt flail experience is with Mott/Alamo and Maletti/Kerneland with some Maschio experience and a hammer-knife Berti thrown in. I don't remember if the Berti was offsettable or not. The Berti cast hammer knives were excellent on small bushes and low scrub but were expensive to maintain around rocks. The rest of my experience is with either Bragg or Tardif flails but they definitely aren't equipment for the typical homeowner.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,427  
Hi
I have 12 acres of 2-4foot grass that I would like to top. I have tried my new flail mower (using my 32hp Iseki tractor) but it really struggles. With the 3point link right down (so the mower is riding on the ground) I can only go at a very very slow crawling pace. With the 3pt link up a bit I can go quite a bit faster. Is this ok? (I have read that it is not good to do so).
I have noticed that the roller is jammed with long grass - does it matter if it is jammed/not rolling free?
Also, how should he skids and roller be set (high vs low) and/or the angle adjustment using the top link for long grass?

As an aside, this thread is very long.. It would be good if someone who knows about flail mowers did a one page, cheat-sheet on how to use flails. This would be hugely beneficial to most posters in this thread.
Much appreciated.
Tim

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #1,428  
Hi
I have 12 acres of 2-4foot grass that I would like to top. I have tried my new flail mower (using my 32hp Iseki tractor) but it really struggles. With the 3point link right down (so the mower is riding on the ground) I can only go at a very very slow crawling pace. With the 3pt link up a bit I can go quite a bit faster. Is this ok? (I have read that it is not good to do so).
I have noticed that the roller is jammed with long grass - does it matter if it is jammed/not rolling free?
Also, how should he skids and roller be set (high vs low) and/or the angle adjustment using the top link for long grass?

As an aside, this thread is very long.. It would be good if someone who knows about flail mowers did a one page, cheat-sheet on how to use flails. This would be hugely beneficial to most posters in this thread.
Much appreciated.
Tim

You won't get the nicest cut but no reason not to raise the 3pt so the tractor can handle the tall grass. And, just go slow.

Leonz is our resident flail fanatic so maybe he can help with a primer.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,429  
Thanks for that. As I suspected.. (Have to go very slow). I might just have to buy a slasher as well (don't have the time to spend a week crawling over the paddocks). very annoying (I bought the flail after reading this thread, suggesting it was suitable for this).
It would be useful if someone could clarify the actual requirements of flail mowers for various uses, ie for short grass, long grass, scrub etc. height settings, tractor speed, and minimum required hp for such. I guess there are practical limits, and a definite curve/range for each.
Thanks again.
Tim

/ Let's talk flail mowers #1,430  
I have a similar issue with grass height. I raise the flail up to about 10-18" and do one pass then do the finish pass all the way down.